Removing Cat Odors from a House

I recently moved into a house that had been destroyed by cats. For about five years, six cats had the run of the house, and let me tell you, they rarely used the litter box. As soon as you walked in the house, the smell would hit you. We spent two months trying to get the smell out. Any hints or tips? The basement is about 75% better. I want to get it all the way better though.

By Shari from Windsor, ON

If you have hardwood floors or if you have hardwood under your carpet and pad, I'm afraid you'd be out of luck.

We purchased a home at auction where the owners had raised dogs for a living. There was one section of the house where they let the dogs do their business - both - and it was on hardwood floors. all of the wood had to be replaced.

I'd try a company or calling a company who specializes in cleaning up after disasters, like hurricanes. They could at least put you in the right direction I think.

I guess it depends if they tinkled on carpet and pad underneath; cement; wood. You don't say, but I still think a hardware store would be your best bet.

I'd take up every inch of carpet if it were me though.

What a mess! bless your hearts I hope you come to a solution quickly.

I have some experience with this being the owner of a couple cats over the years. I had carpet on slab floors. The only thing I could do to remove the smell of cat urine was remove all the carpet, pad and use clorox to scrub down the cement floor. Also wash the walls with clorox. I know it is a lot of work and expense but it will get rid of the smell. Good luck.

XO Odor Remover works fairly well. I would get a black light bulb to shine over the room when it's dark. It supposedly shows where cats have sprayed. I've used this and then sprayed Nature's Remedy on and scrubbed and then detergent and scrubbed and got most of it. Sounds like a real project that will need to be done one bit at a time. Good luck. I truly wish you well. I love the animals but sometimes hate their behavior.

June 6, 2010 Flag

I walked into my empty rental house yesterday and was overcome by the smell of cats and cat urine. She had 3, but it smells like 300. I need suggestions for products or home remedies that will help me not tear up when I walk in. There is no carpeting, just linoleum, hardwood floors, and tile. Thanks for any help!

By Tinana from Chautauqua County, NY

Removing Cat Odors from a House

I know vinegar is good for removing cat odors. If it were me, I would try mopping the floor with vinegar/water solution, putting bowls of vinegar out and spraying it around. The vinegar smell goes away once it dries. If you can boil some vinegar and water on a stove and let the steam get around the place, that would be great as well. Good luck! (11/12/2009)

By moekelly24

Removing Cat Odors from a House

Buy Nature's Miracle. The product is great and will eliminate the odor completely. I know; I have 9 cats. Peace.

Sharon (11/13/2009)

By kidzrus

Removing Cat Odors from a House

When you find where the smell is most concentrated, treat it with a mixture of 16 oz. of peroxide mixed with 2 tsp. of baking soda to which you add a couple drops of dish washing detergent. I use Dawn. DO NOT bottle any leftovers. It will explode! Either use it all or throw it away, or mix half a batch.

I have used it for years, and it removes smells from carpets and hardwood floors, even upholstery. Just make sure the soda is completely dissolved in the peroxide. I usually do that in about half the amount before adding the rest. Wet the area well. Let it set for awhile and then soak it up with old rags or paper towels. The rags can be run through a rinse cycle of Mr Clean Lemon, and then washed, and they are as good as new, and so is the smelly spot. If you still notice a smell, simply retreat. But this works. You can see it working. I know. I have 17 cats! (11/15/2009)

By lmgluvscat

Removing Cat Odors from a House

There is an excellent product called "Odor Cide". You can buy it at It is not expensive. My sister has nine cats and believe me it works and it smells great. (11/16/2009)

By sabrinadog

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJune 6, 2010
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
large couch
Removing Odors from Furniture
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door