Cleaning Rotten Meat Odors From a Car

Category Odors
Meat accidentally left in the car can quickly become rotten and fill your car with a very bad odor. This is a guide about cleaning rotten meat odors from a car.

My husband accidently forgot chicken breasts in the car after coming back from the grocery store. We realized that when the car started smelling real bad. We used car freshners, and also left the car open a couple of times, but it didn't work. Now every time we sit in the car, it smells horribly bad. Any ideas to get rid of the smell will be appreciated. - Gina

Answers

By Teresa Shearer (Guest Post)
Best Answer

A friend of mine did that with the juice from a roast! After getting the juice up the best she could she just sprinkled a lot of baking soda on the mats and let it sit. She'd vacuum it out and then do it again. After about 2 or 3 times, the smell was gone - the baking soda had absorbed all the odor.

By lisa (Guest Post)
Best Answer

There's a product called "Damp-Rid" that is great for absorbing odors. It can be purchased at Home Depot (or probably any home improvement store) for approximately $3.

It comes in a small container. All you do is open the package and pour the contents into the container and wait. It lasts up to 4 weeks and absorbs odors well. Hope this helps!

By Samantha (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Unfortunately the same thing happened to me. The meat was left in my car for about 2 days and the blood leaked out into the carpet. Even though the weather was not hot the smell was horrendous! I tried everything... spent tons of money on carpet shampoos, odor removers and deodorizers, etc. None of them worked. I searched online and found that hydrogen peroxide would remove the blood stain and it worked! I poured 2 pints on the spot and let it sit a couple of hours, then vacuumed it up at the car wash.

The stain was 100% gone (it is light gray carpet) but I still had the odor. I poured white vinegar on the spot and used it just like the peroxide. It worked! Vinegar does not smell great but it's like roses compared to the smell of rotten meat. After the carpet dries you can spread baking soda over the spot and it will remove the vinegar smell. Good luck to anyone having to deal with this problem. I can certainly sympathize!

I need help! I let my mother use my car this past week and when I got it back I smelled something awful coming from the back of the vehicle. I went back to investigate and there I found a tub of liver that had been left there for 5 days and had exploded all over the back of the car. It smells so bad I can barely stand to try and clean it.

I've tried everything I can think of to get the smell out of the car, but nothing is working. I just read the article about the mice and the use of borox. I cleaned out the car totally, but some of the blood got into the carpet, and I am guessing that is what is smelling so terribly bad.

I scrubbed it with some household carpet cleaners. I don't want to end up having to pull up the carpet, but I fear that might be my only option. I'm in Texas, so it's quite hot right now. I don't know if the smell is ever going to leave, but I can't stand to get into the vehicle. Any ideas on how to get rid of the smell would be greatly appreciated.

Friday

Answers

By Tawnda (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Once the carpet is dry, sprinkle baking soda all over it. Heavily. Let set a few days. Vacuum up the baking soda and then clean.

Find a car wash that has an upholstery cleaning brush on it. Usually there is only one available. They are not in ever stall. You may have to ask the attendant if they have them. It is real similar to a rug cleaner but it is in the car wash for doing your seats, etc. I use this to clean my kids' car seats too. This may help with some of that.

Some trunk carpeting will pull up without you having to ruin it. You may be able to pull it up and wash both sides. If you can't find a car wash that has the upholstery cleaner, you can rent a steam cleaner and ask them to add on the upholstery cleaning brush to the rental. $20-30 for a rental may be much cheaper than replacing the whole carpet.

If Texas is having dry weather right now, if you are able to have your car within your sight for the day, I would let it set with the trunk lid open or at least cracked to air and dry it out.

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Don't know if this will work but I would try soaking the area where you think the blood spilled in vinegar. I would pour it freely over the area - get it really wet.

If blood is in the carpet the smell won't leave until the blood is gone. Using alot of vinegar may rinse out the blood and remove any remaining smell. Leave the trunk open so it can dry well.

Some meat got left in our van for 5 nights. There is no sign of leakage, but the smell is horrendous. How can I remove the smell from the air, or do I need to just wash the carpet?

By bugpie

Answers

I put charcoal on some newpaper and left it over night. The next day I replaced the charcoal with another batch and left it overnight. Then I bought some red apples and cut in quarters and put under the seat. To my surprise it worked! Now when I want to refresh my car I put more apples!!

My daughter left hamburger in my van for over 3 days, with outside temps reaching over 95 degrees. The blood leaked out and saturated the carpet. I have allergies and chemical sensitives, so I can't anything containing perfumes or scented. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean up this mess?

SCCanLady from Charleston, SC

Answers:

Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

Try white vinegar and see if that works. Put it on full strength and let it sit. (06/30/2008)

By Betty

Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

Clean it thoroughly. Let it air out if possible. When dry try baking soda then vacuuming up. You can use Febreze if it doesn't bother your allergies. If it does, stick with cleaning and baking soda and airing out with windows down. (06/30/2008)

Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

For the stain you can try hydrogen peroxide (the brown bottle in the first aid aisle). It should bubble out the blood stain. Leave it on for awhile then blot it up, repeat if necessary. That will also help w/ the odor. For the odor you can use straight white vinegar poured on until it dries. You can set dishes of straight white vinegar in the vehicle w/ the windows closed (absorbs odors). You can put pans of un-used coffee grounds in the vehicle, cheap brand. Do NOT pour the coffee grounds on the carpeting, it can stain. Baking soda is another option to try. Do NOT pour baking soda on wet carpeting. Maybe make a solution of baking soda and water and sponge it onto the stain /odor. Allow to dry and vacuum off. If you can remove the odor, but not all of the stain maybe you can get new floor mats for the area. (07/01/2008)

By kidsNclutter

Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

What about steam cleaning? I don't have a cleaner, but they certainly look like they work in the ads.

Perhaps you could phone an auto cleaning shop and ask what they use, or perhaps get it professionally done. I would ask if they can clean this out before you pay someone to do it. (07/01/2008)

By Louise B.

Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

You can also use ammonia (watered down) after blotting the blood up, spot test it. If you get out all the blood and any smell remains you can try coffee grounds once it is thoroughly dried. Good luck! (07/01/2008)

By sheila

Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

Try placing some charcoal briquettes on the carpet. (Like Kingsford for the BBQ)
It absorbs the smell of meat odors from old freezers, give it a try. (07/02/2008)

By LEONA LABINE

Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

2-3 tablespoons of pure vanilla extract mixed with about 4-6 oz. of plain water in a spray bottle! Spray heavily in area where blood is. My hubby left a "plastic lined" box that had packages of raw chicken in plastic bags in my car overnight several years ago. (No, he didn't leave the chickens, just the box!) The box with the plastic liner had blood from the chickens still in it and leaked all over the back end of my car. Really, really bad smell! A friend who had been a used car dealer told me about this and it really really worked. Good for all kinds of bad odors. (07/02/2008)

By Beverly

Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

Thanks everyone for your ideas on how to best clean up my car. I pretty much have it beat now. I started out with baking soda and white vinegar. Then I steamed cleaned it until I got all the visible blood out of the carpet, then I blasted it with steam a few more times. My last effort was using straight white vinegar for the lingering smell. That seems to have taken care of the whole rotten mess. (07/03/2008)

By sccanlady