Removing Rotten Seafood Odors From a Car

Category Odors
Food accidentally spilled or left in a hot car can quickly fill your vehicle with a really bad smell. This is a guide about removing rotten seafood odors from a car.

How do I remove fish juice spill from car seats?

By Jim

Answers

Best Answer

Lemon juice and white vinegar, full strength or enzyme product for pet urine, it sort of eats any biological stain/smell. Leave it to do it's work for some days, and then use white vinegar again if needed. I'd try the enyzme first and then the vinegar since it's on fabric rather than say a floor.

Best Answer

I would try the pet urine thing as PIKKA had wrote about but without spending any money I would buy some charcoal to grill with & put some of the charcoal briquettes in the car and shut the door. After about 3 to 5 days the charcoal should/will absorb the smell then just simply throw the charcoal away with the smell and all. This works in any room that someone has thrown up in too. Keep us posted on what you end up doing!

How do I get fish oder out my car. I've tried coffee grounds for a week and it still smells.

Answers

First you want to make sure that the actual source of the smell is gone. If soemthing fishy leaked on your upholstery, it will probably smell forever unless you clean it up

the only real way to do that effectively in terms of urine or other biological matter is to shut out the lights and turn on a black light. I assume it would also work for something like this: https://www.ama  +urine+detection

if that doesn't work, just find a way to locate the smell.

Enzymatic cleaners are really the only thing that will get rid of smells. These cleaners use enzymes to break up the organic matter that causes the smell.

You can buy one here https://www.che  amp;gclsrc=aw.ds

or, if you have brown sugar, citrus peels and a lot of time on your hands, you can make your own: http://www.wiki  e-Enzyme-Cleaner

Charcoal is a cheap, non-toxic deodorizer you can use to remove fishy smells. Put a few briquettes in a sock and hang in the car.

Nok-Out removes odors permanently. You can get it on Amazon.

Anonymous

Thanks everyone I try the charcoal

A Lampe Berger (Paris) from Amazon. They used these in hospitals and morgues to clear the orders.

I have one for nights we have fish. Works!!

How do I get stinky fish smell out of my minivan?

By leilauni from Red Bud, IL

Answers

Best Answer

Just go to the place where they sell supplies for fish tanks. Get some charcoal the kind they use in the pump thingie. Then spread it around where the smell is the worst and leave it there for a few days. It will get rid of any smell. I had someone spill milk in my car and it sat for a few days in the hot sun. The charcoal got rid of it leaving no more smell. Hope this helps you.

I was helping a friend out a few years back and transported posole to a fund raiser and though we tried to level the trays, the juices spilled onto back seat and also in the space between where the back meets the seat. I've had the car detailed and the seats and rugs cleaned a few different times, but anytime the weather is damp or I run the car through a car wash, I get this awful, sour smell.

It is similar to when I've let a meat dish go past bad to "oh my word" in the fridge. My fear is there is nothing that can be done since the part that I assume needs to be cleaned is out of reach unless there is some way to remove the back seats. Any ideas are welcome!

By Donna B.

Answers

If your car is less than 20 years old, there is a good chance that from the trunk, your seats can be pushed forward to fold down. (safety feature started when kids got locked in trucks years back) If they can, do that and see what you can clean from the trunk. On my daughters car, the carpet will fold back to clean there. We did not know that until we saw the detail shop do that.

You can try a product called Nok-Out, which you can get on Amazon. If that doesnt work, you will have to replace the carpets

My boyfriend and I go fishing almost everyday with squid. From putting it in my trunk when we go, my car now has this over powering squid smell. I live in Florida so when its hot it's so much worse. I need to know a way to get it out. I've tried air fresheners and airing it out. Someone please give me another idea.

By samy

Please tell me how to get crab juice smell out of my car. What can I use?

Shaquana

Answers:

Rotten Seafood Smell in Car

Place a couple of small bowls filled with distilled vinegar in them overnight in the car on a spot where they won't tip over and, better yet, do it during the day when it's warm outside! Vinegar soaks up lots of icky smells!

Also, spray some of the distilled vinegar (don't soak) on the spot where the juice was spilled. (04/20/2010)

By Ann

Rotten Seafood Smell in Car

Also try activated charcoal pellets. You can get it at a hardware store. Put in a container and leave open in the car overnight. Then put the top on the container with holes punched in it or some type of ventilation and leave in car for a week. They are amazing and really cheap and have worked for me on numerous occasions. It takes a day or so for really tough odors.

Use big containers. The charcoal pellets apparently absorb the odors. Hope it helps. (04/21/2010)

By Amy3e

Rotten Seafood Smell in Car

The best stuff I have found with dogs and human seemingly hopeless odors is Complete at Target. You find it in the pet aisle. It gets rid of the bacteria that causes the scent, but smells very clean, citrus. It is not a coverup. It doesn't have bad chemicals. I have used it for vomit, urine, diarrhea, etc. and it works!

I also love Odoban, but Complete is unbelievable. It's inexpensive and I keep it in a spray bottle for freshening up furniture, dog beds, add to stinky laundry, etc. I've tried the veterinary bacteria eating varieties and ended up with a worse smell than at the beginning.
I am getting low on my large bottle and am going to buy more. I would never be without it. (04/21/2010)

By carla

What do you use to get fish smell from the carpet in your car? Thanks.

By Joy from Lacombe, LA

Answers:

I spilled crab bisque on the carpet in my car. I scrubbed it with carpet shampoo then used Febreze for pet odors, but the odor is still there after a month. It smells like a trash dumpster. Any suggestions?

By Julia Burner from NJ

Answers:

Rotten Seafood Smell in Car

I spilled shrimp gumbo in mine. On the spot, lay down some newspaper and put charcoal on the paper. It will absorb the odor. (10/04/2009)

By Regina Forbes

I had a bag of frozen fish fillets melt a little on the way home in our minivan. A small amount of water the fillets were in soaked into the carpet on the floor and the whole van reeks like fish. What can I use to remove (or at least neutralize) the odor?

Jeremy from IA

Answers:

Rotten Seafood Smell in Car

Try something called Fresh-Wave. It comes in a variety of ways, spray, crystals, or gel. Google it and find out where to buy in your area. Many ACE hardwarestores or True Value have it. Works great. (09/28/2008)

By Wisgal

Rotten Seafood Smell in Car

After a week of unbearable fish odor left from forgetting to remove fish from the back seat, I sprayed the entire interior of the automobile with full strength white vinegar with a spray bottle. Almost immediately I noticed the difference. The car smelled like vinegar for 2 days then no more fish smell, works great. (09/28/2009)

By armando

We had a cooler with fresh fish and ice in the back of the car. The cooler tipped over and some of the melted ice must have spilled on the carpet.

I let my brother in law use my van and he bought shrimp. He put it in a cooler and the water spilled on my carpet now my van smells like rotten seafood. Can anyone help?