I have had the worst luck with charging things. Mostly my sweeper vacs. Are you supposed to leave it on the charger at all times when not in use? I do that and every sweeper I get seems to lose its charge faster and faster until it just doesn't charge anymore. But when I don't charge it, it doesn't work either! Help!
Katya from Sterling, VA
Yes, most rechargable batteries can be "overcharged". The result is usually premature battery wear due to excessive heat, but overcharging can also lead to battery leaks/explosions. Charge them till full then stop charging. Use them when needed, recharge when low.
I discharge all (rechargable) battery items 100% when finished using them... this eliminates 'battery life memory'; yes there are batteries that are 'supposed' to not have memory issues, but I've adapted the 'full discharge' method. and I have to do some pre-planning....but my units have much longer lives...
I am having the same problem with my Swivel Sweeper. I do leave the charger on for a long time, unplug it from the wall outlet and plug back into my unit. But like you said, it seems to lose it's charge faster and faster. Maybe I need to take the charger out of the unit when not in use.
When you first get a sweeper vac, charge it a full 12 hours. Then take it off the charger and use it till has completely no power left. Then recharge. Never leave it on the charger when not in use. The most important thing is to charge it fully (12 hours) the first time and don't put it back on the charger till it has no power.
It definitely matters what kind of batteries are in your sweeper. I understand the Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) type have fewer issues with developing "memory."
However, I agree with everyone else that you should not keep your sweeper plugged in all the time. I do the same thing with my rechargeable Talking Book machine: Use it until I lose power, then charge fully and unplug.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!