My Frugal Life: Bake For Special Days

This is how I give my dad a much anticipated gift for his birthday and also for Father's day. My dad loves to talk about the goodies that his mother used to make for her family. My Frugal LifeOne of his favorites was Cream Puffs. He also raved about her Coconut Cream Pie and Coconut Cake. I decided that I would bake one of those treats for each special day, one for Father's Day, and another for his birthday. It just seemed to me that it was a simple idea, but his reaction when I gave him fresh baked goods, made by my own hands, let me know that I had "done good".

Now each year, I try to make something special, and it doesn't matter if I repeat the recipe that I used the year before, since he hasn't had that treat for a year! Flour, eggs, sugar, and coconut can be pretty inexpensive to buy, so the cost was not at all great, but the effort that I put in, and the fact that I remembered what he liked went a long, long way to make him happy. This Christmas, I even made my dad a personal sized pie made with little tiny wild blackberries that I had picked myself. His eyes just shown when he got it. I also make a special cake and cut and decorate it in a special shape for my children's birthdays, and they think it is a great gift. A bit of extra effort shows a lot of extra love.

Patty from Darrington, WA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

Patty, you are an angel. What wonderful, delicious, perfect gifts for your family.

What a sweet daughter your dad has!

Your story is very touching, I will ask my Dad about what his favourite dessert was, when my Mom was alive. Thanks a lot!

I do this when I visit my parents. When I lived with them before getting married, Daddy always said I made the best stuffed bell peppers. So when I go for a visit, I always put aside one evening to prepare a huge pan of stuffed bell peppers. We'll eat some that night & leave the rest for Mom and Dad to freeze for later meals. Daddy says even Mom's stuffed peppers aren't as good as mine, lol. This gives me great pride to know this gesture will mean more to my parents than any other gift I could have brought with me, for them.

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeApril 10, 2007
selecting a wedding dress
Selecting a Wedding Dress
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Taco Bake on Picnic Table
Taco Bake Recipes
No Bake Cheesecake
No Bake Cheesecake Recipes