Questions Regarding California Child Support Order

I married and divorced my wife in California. I had a child support order at that time. I remarried my wife in Nevada and was told that to remarry her in Nevada, she had to dismiss the California child support order from our previous marriage. California now claims the old order is still in effect. Is this correct?

By Jerry from Sacramento, CA

Have you asked an attorney about any of this? That seems like the best starting point to me.

Are you sure it is not talking about back child support? That would still be owed because that is money that is supposed to be used to feed, clothe & house the child with the assumption that the custodial parent is doing their 1/2 (or whatever % is theirs) so if money is not paid in it is like the custodial parent gave a loan.

Anonymous

I am confused :-( You're going to or did you already remarry the same woman in Nevada? Either way, why don't you just have her file in California court (shouldn't be difficult since it shows here that you live in Sacramento) to have the support dismissed? If it's back child support you will most likely need a lawyer but don't get your hopes up if she collected state assistance after divorce because California won't forgive that debt. That is money that is due back to the state for helping her and your children.

No back child support was owed. Nevada just said they wouldn't marry us with a previous court order.

There's a specific form your wife must sign to rescind the child support order. If she didn't sign it, unfortunately, the order stands. Ask your California CSEA how to go about this, and congrats on earning her love back. God bless you both.