Helping My Husband Lose Weight

I would like some advice on how to get my husband to lose some weight without hurting his feelings or making him feel unloved or ugly.

Thanks,

Nailfanatic from Poteau, OK

You could start in corporating some "family fitness" into every day events. For example, we have starting taking walks after dinner every evening which is a nice way to get some exercise and wind down after a long day.

How about changing some of the snacks you keep in the house? Or changing some of the dishes you make? I buy low fat mayo for my husband even though he fusses that he likes the full-fat kind better. I'm the one who makes the sandwiches, so he eats the low fat. When I eat healthier, my husband tends to eat healthier, too. Maybe you could also tell him that you are concerned about his health so it's not a direct slam about his weight, but rather his health. Good luck!

I myself went on a Diet last year. And just changing the way I cooked my husband started to lose weight and didn't even know it. I started out buying "my diet food" and their food such as cottage cheese. I would buy 4% fat cottage cheese and 1% cottage cheese. After catching them eating "my" cottage cheese with out complaint I stopped buying the higher fat. I also stopped making as much pasta/potatoe side dishes. I would make a small amount with more healthy side dishes such as salads and vegetables. I have also changed to whole grain stone ground wheat breads. This did take some getting used to for the kids but now they eat it without complaint. All in all I lost 85 pounds and my husband dropped 20. Not bad when he wasn't trying to lose weight.

If it's in the house, I'll eat it, so it helps me not to buy it in the first place.

Start making low-calorie meals....and I would say something like I want to do some sit-ups ( or whatever) and ask him to do them with you. Go for a walk, go to the gym, just tell him that you want to exercise but don't want to do it alone.

Make some lemon juices every morning for both u and him. That will help to cut down fats and fill him up. And also try to include salads and light soup and less oil in ur cooking. And go for some walking or exercise with him.

You could have him visit the doctor for a check up... and have the doctor break the news to him? Of course, you'd be there to offer support when he got home. :)

I told my husband that I adored him and wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. But if we both didn't lose some weight that we were both going to die young. He agreed and we both lost weight together. On the plus side - the sex is better when you're not over weight!! LOL! I lost my sweetheart the day before Valentines day in 1999. I miss him everyday.

I've been dieting myself and my hubby lost weight without any real effort on his part. I just told him that I was going to eat healthy and that I have good self control not to buy bad foods but no self control once they're in the house. He could eat whatever he wants when he's not with me but I needed his support when we were together and also not to bring temptation into the house.

Health & Beauty Weight LossOctober 11, 2005
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
A woman trying to choose between an apple or a cupcake.
Dieting Tips and Tricks
Yogurt Bread Dough
Weight Watchers Yogurt Bread Dough
Weighing in on Scale
Using Weight Watchers
🎄