Dieting Tips and Tricks

Category Weight Loss
Every year thousands of people start a diet to lose weight, but many times they fail or lose the weight only to gain it back. This is a guide about dieting tips and tricks.

Ugh! Trying to lose weight during the holidays? When you get that chocolate urge, put a Hershey's Kiss in the bottom of your coffee cup! Pour coffee over the Kiss and you will have great tasting coffee with VERY little calories! A Peppermint Kiss is great for the holidays!

Source: Weight Watchers meeting 20 years ago!

Looking at all the diets available advertised on TV and NONE of them looked appetizing or something I could afford. I remembered a cousin who once tried a "pasta" diet. Not really my cup of tea. Then I heard about a liquid diet so I looked it up. It didn't look appealing. But in looking for information about the Liquid Diet I found a web page that talked about lots of different diets.

I settled on trying a fruit and protein diet. You eat fruit four or five times a day (not three times a day, once for each meal). You switch up the fruit you eat, be it canned or fresh, so you don't get "tired" of it. And to help with hunger pains, you can also eat nuts (protein) and sunflower seeds. This was something I could do and did and it DID work. There were a few restrictions; you couldn't eat Bear nuts (which have sugar) and I think salted nuts were frowned upon. I mostly ate Dry Roasted Peanuts with my fruit and that was mostly canned with the exception of a couple bananas and apples.

The point is, do a search for diets and you might find something that you can handle and do. Just keep an open mind.

Because I am a diabetic, I don't keep sweets in my kitchen as I have very little will power. But one evening I craved something sweet so much, that I scoured the fridge and spotted some maraschino cherries. I keep these on hand when my family wants me to make pineapple upside-down cake for special occasions - sheer torture!

I took one of the cherries, ate it, and just one satisfied my urge. I hope this works for those of you who have this problem.

Have a nice day.

By Dollie from Tucson, AZ

For a long time, I have heard and read that eating a little chocolate every day is good for you. I have chocolate chips left over from Christmas, that were going to waste if not used, so for the past couple of weeks I have been eating some of them daily. So far I have not gained weight. I have actually lost a couple of pounds, which I am trying to do.

Chocolate covered nuts are my favorite candy. Chewing up a nut and a few chips at the same time taste just like eating a chocolate covered nut.

Benefits of chocolate, in the AOL news today.

1. Immediate mental stimulant.

2. It widens blood vessels and can help reduce blood pressure.

3. It can lower body fat.

4. Healthy bacteria in your stomach thrives on chemical makeup of chocolate, which while breaking down releases compounds that lesson cardiovascular tissue inflammation, reducing the risk of strokes.

5. It can improve your memory.
I need all of this so I just may be stocking up on chocolate chips to keep on hand all the time. One tablespoon, a serving size of Nestle Chocolate Chips, contains 70 calories.

If you started your New Year out with a resolution to slim down, then I have a great tip for you: buy a toddler sized three plate divider with a plastic lid. I purchased mine at Target for less than 2 dollars. You really get portion control and it is divided into 3 sections. It is a healthy way to go and it keeps you from over eating. It saves so many calories and you can feel your plate up without feeling guilty or over doing it! Perfect for you working gals, taking your own lunch, trying to save money and calories.

Source: I have a toddler and while packing his lunch for preschool it dawned on me to pack my lunch in one or at least eat out of one for meals. It saves so many calories and you can feel your plate up without feeling guilty or over doing it!

By Karen from Union, SC

A tip for parents and dieters. Instead of buying the pretzel twists, buy the pretzel sticks. One serving of twists = 15. One serving of sticks = 45. Same calorie amount.

I like to keep track of all the money I was tempted to spend but didn't. I do the same when I am counting calories. I count what I almost ate but didn't.

When I am eating low fat in order to lose a few pounds of weight, I always eat a serving of something really fatty for each five pounds I lose.

Tonight I will start drinking Fit'n Right pineapple juice. My question is, is it good for dieting? I want to lose weight. Is bedtime a good time for drinking pineapple juice in a bottle? I know that beer and soft drinks are not good when dieting. Can you give me some tips of foods and drinks that I need to avoid so I can pursue my plan and be successful in losing my weight?

By Jessica P.

Answers

We were told by a pal, who's in the medical field, that any juice that says it's "from concentrate", has added sugar. So be careful drinking any bottled fruit juices, especially if you're trying to lose weight. Have you looked into "juicing" your own juices using fresh veggies & fruits.

Just remember, everything in moderation. Read your packaged foods labels, see what "a serving size" is for that product & stick with that. We're all accustomed to filling up our plates at meal time & eating till we're full or beyond. There are guidelines as to what products we can or should eat/drink & how much.

I've found drinking green tea helps me lose a few lbs. here & there, but also remember to drink water, as any tea or coffee is a diuretic, you don't want to become dehydrated. Eat lots of green salads, go easy on the dressing. I like to incorporate chopped fresh fruits on my salad, like chopped apple, strawberries or mandarin oranges, also a sprinkling of raw/natural/ or unsalted nuts or sunflower seeds.

Best of luck!

When trying to trim down, eat more soup than usual. It fills you up without causing you to overeat. Soup is also great for finishing off leftovers such as chicken, and it's an easy way to fit an extra serving of vegetables into your day. Stay away from cream-based soups. If you like your soup on the thick side, puree white beans or cooked potatoes and stir the mixture into the broth. Experiment with herbs and seasonings for fun flavors.

When preparing a pork or beef roast, insert slices of garlic in slits on top of the roast before baking. It infuses the meat with flavor without adding fat. You can also add sprigs of rosemary or an herb blend.

To get rid of "fishy" flavors with just about any type of fish, cover it with milk. Let it soak for 30-90 minutes and cook as directed. This helps get rid of some of the fishy taste.

For a different tuna salad, mix chopped pickled beets into the tuna. There's no need for mayonnaise or salad dressing, so it's lower in fat. Just add enough beets to a can of tuna to make it moist.

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

Hello, I am looking for healthy recipes and family dieting tips. I feel like pretty much every dinner that is a staple in our house is fattening. I know most the snacks we eat are. i need a "whole family" approach to eating better. Anyone else tried to tackle this kind of shift in eating habits? Thank you, Jerri

Answers:

Healthy Meals and Dieting Tips

Jerri, I am a firm believer in teaching my family good eating habits and my trick is to plan my meals for the week. Then from that I make my shopping list. I make sure we have a protein, a complex carb, a vegetable, a salad and a glass of milk for each person. So, for example, one pork chop(baked not fried), 1/2 cup brown rice pilaf, 1 cup steamed broccoli and a green salad with low fat dressing.

The only thing about eating healthy is that is does take time because you MUST be organized. But it will be worth it in the end! As for snacks, just don't buy the potato chips and chocolate bars, make popcorn, eat pretzels or peanuts, and of course all of that needs to be in moderation as well! And if you want to splurge on the 'junk' then do it only 1 day a week! We make it on a family movie night!

If fast food is a problem with you guys, there are places now that offer really good low fat alternatives like the salads or the wraps instead of the burgers and fries. You just have to make the right choices. It is hard at first but it will get easier, I promise! If I could do it so can you! (06/23/2004)

By Busyday86

Healthy Meals and Dieting Tips

Look for "Cooking Light" magazine at your grocer or book store. They have some good sounding healthy recipes. Or you can go to any search engine, such as Google.com and type in "healthy recipes" and get most likely more than you'll ever be able to use in your lifetime. It's best to use the ones that have the nutritional values after each recipe. That way it gives you an idea of how much of everything you're consuming. The size of your food portions, whether it be snacks or what, really counts. I visited a dietitian, which helped tremendously. Your Dr. can recommend one for you if you ask.

Most restaurants if you were to order a steak, would serve one as big as your plate or so, basically all a person is to have for each meal is (protein wise) is the size of a deck of cards. So when going out to eat, it's better to ask for a 'doggie bag' and take part of your meal off your plate as soon as you receive it to take home and then eat the rest of your meal. Or before you know it, you'll consume the whole meal, while conversing with your dining guests. Hope this helps. Best of luck!
(06/25/2004)

By badwater