DishesCleaning

Cleaning a Cast Iron Skillet to Re-season

What is the best way to clean up an old iron skillet? I know you are supposed to rub oil on them after use. Is it true you do not use soap in them? My grandmother's old iron skillet has a few rusty areas. I'd like to clean that all up and start using it on a regular basis.

By Danielle from Raleigh, NC

Best Answer

The best way to season a cast iron skillet is to apply lard (you can get that in the super-market or Walmart) generously on both surfaces (including handles) and bake them in an oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F, then lower the temperature to 200 degrees F, flip the pan upside down over an aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. Repeat this again using lard. If you are seasoning a new pan or gently used pan, do it only once - that should take care of it. But seasoning an old pan (especially that had rust), you have to do it twice. Hope this helps.

Scrub the rust off with steel wool, then season like asamuel suggests, or look in the archives for other methods. I usually just wash mine with a brush under hot running water, but I do use Dawn if I have burnt on stuff, because I wasn't watching when I was using it!! Just re-season with some oil or lard, but no need to do the heating for 2 hours.

Lodge manufacturers cast iron pans. I followed their instructions on how to re-season my cast iron and it came out beautiful. Check this site for other tips on cleaning and cooking.

http://www.lodg  ed-cast-iron.asp