Dog Anal Gland Problems

What causes dogs to have overfull anal glands and how can the problem be avoided?

By Carrie from Hawaii

This link is explanatory.

Not enough fiber in their diet.

Give your dog some good quality food like Natural Balance, Evangers or Merrick. Give your dog fresh apples without the peeling, bananas, blue berries dogs love fresh blue berries) and cranberries. One of my dogs was always scooting but she stopped when I changed her food and I always share my fruit with my dogs. Problem solved.

My dog also has anal gland problems. She doesn't "squeeze" them like she should so we have to get them squeezed. You can do this yourself but it is gross (that's just what I heard, I won't touch them! ha) Your vet can do this as well as most grooming salons. Just ask! I know PetSmart does it for sure! They can also show you how to do it.

There is a surgery that can correct it also but I don't have the money for that.

Our dog had this problem, and when we took her to the vet to have her anal glands expressed, the nurse there said that feeding the dog pumpkin is supposed to prevent anal gland problems. So we bought pumpkin pie filling (the kind that is 100% pumpkin) and we put 2 tablespoons of the pumpkin pie filling in her food everyday, and so far, the problem hasn't returned.

February 26, 2012 Flag

Is there any home remedy to treat anal glands? My dog, an 8 year old Doxie, has the problem. She licks herself a lot and she has been to the vet several times. It is getting costly, but she is so relieved after the vet treats her. She gets Greek yogurt, that helps her skin. Treats are fresh vegetables and fruits.

By Reda G

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is kind of a graphic video, but it shows how to express a dogs anal glands. Do not do it if the dog acts like he will bite you. It is worth the money to pay the vet if the dog wants to fight you on this subject...

Try feeding your dog a good quality food too. It really does help. My bull terrier has this problem and I give her a tablespoon of pumpkin per day too. It helps bulk up the waste which will make it easier to empty the glands on her own.

A dog getting a bath.
Expressing a Dog's Anal Glands
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 20, 2009
A bulldog eating too fast.
Preventing a Dog From Eating Too Fast
Yahoo Mail
Troubleshooting Problems with Yahoo Mail
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Starting a Lawnmower
Lawn Mower Won't Stay Running