Expressing a Dog's Anal Glands

Category Health
Although you should consult your veterinarian first, often they will recommend expressing them yourself. This guide is about expressing a dog's anal glands.

If your dog is dragging her bottom on the carpet, it probably means her anal glands need to be expressed.

There are two small glands located on each side of your dog's rectal opening. Each gland holds a small amount of a noxious smelling substance. Most of the time, the glands express sufficiently on their own. However sometimes, the glands aren't completely expressed naturally.

It's important to have your dog's anal glands expressed when he is showing signs of discomfort (like fussing and chewing at the area, or scooting). Your vet or groomer can manually express the glands quickly and easily, oftentimes they will show you how to do it yourself.

If left untreated, your dog's anal glands can become impacted, infected, and rupture causing serious problems.

If you see your dog scooting, scoot him on over to a professional as soon as possible.

By Laura from Long Beach, CA

I took my little Cocker girl to the vet and he charged me 75 bucks to explained to me why my dog was constantly scooting and licking her butter. Dogs have anal sacs that fill with a horrible smelling fluid that occasionally needs to be removed.

Here is a video that shows you how to avoid that charge and do-it-yourself. Easy peasy, trust me, not a fun job, but hey, 75 bucks is 75 bucks!

I know it is disgusting, but it works great and gives them some instant relief.

By whiitewolf from Fort Pierce, FL

What causes dogs to have overfull anal glands and how can the problem be avoided?

By Carrie from Hawaii

Answers

This link is explanatory.
http://dogs.lov … /Dog_Anal_Glands

Not enough fiber in their diet.

Give your dog some good quality food like Natural Balance, Evangers or Merrick. Give your dog fresh apples without the peeling, bananas, blue berries dogs love fresh blue berries) and cranberries. One of my dogs was always scooting but she stopped when I changed her food and I always share my fruit with my dogs. Problem solved.

My dog also has anal gland problems. She doesn't "squeeze" them like she should so we have to get them squeezed. You can do this yourself but it is gross (that's just what I heard, I won't touch them! ha) Your vet can do this as well as most grooming salons. Just ask! I know PetSmart does it for sure! They can also show you how to do it.

There is a surgery that can correct it also but I don't have the money for that.

Our dog had this problem, and when we took her to the vet to have her anal glands expressed, the nurse there said that feeding the dog pumpkin is supposed to prevent anal gland problems. So we bought pumpkin pie filling (the kind that is 100% pumpkin) and we put 2 tablespoons of the pumpkin pie filling in her food everyday, and so far, the problem hasn't returned.

My dog has a constant smell from her bottom.

By Del from south wales

Answers

She may have a yeast infection. You will need to see a Vet for treatment.

Ask your vet to 'express' the anal glands. It's a common practice and should solve the smelly problem. In my experience, it will need to be done regularly.

Is there any home remedy to treat anal glands? My dog, an 8 year old Doxie, has the problem. She licks herself a lot and she has been to the vet several times. It is getting costly, but she is so relieved after the vet treats her. She gets Greek yogurt, that helps her skin. Treats are fresh vegetables and fruits.

By Reda G

Answers

This is kind of a graphic video, but it shows how to express a dogs anal glands. Do not do it if the dog acts like he will bite you. It is worth the money to pay the vet if the dog wants to fight you on this subject...

http://www.yout … ch?v=vywTCnjKX4k

Try feeding your dog a good quality food too. It really does help. My bull terrier has this problem and I give her a tablespoon of pumpkin per day too. It helps bulk up the waste which will make it easier to empty the glands on her own.

Can I express the glands myself? If so I would love to do it myself. I don't have much money, but I do love my dog and I would do it myself.

By Traci from Eugene, OR

Answers

I have three dogs of my own and help my neighbor with her two dog's anal glands. You can certainly do it yourself. Every dog is a bit different; some have the easiest glads to express and some not so much. My groomer (for my 2 shih tzus) will only express them from the outside, but I find one finger in the anus and one outside is easiest. There are tutorials on line and when I was having so much trouble with my one shih tzu, I asked the vet techs to do it with me on one of our visitis to the vet. They were glad to help show me.