Buying Bulk Paraffin Wax

Where can I get paraffin wax in bulk for cheap? Does anyone have a recipe for homemade fire logs using paraffin wax and sawdust?

Sally from Gallatin Gateway, MT

I try to buy old candles at thrift stores and yard sales. I find it is cheaper than buying paraffin wax.

Be sure to safely melt your wax using a double burner. Wax is extremely flammable! I bought an old pan at the thrift store that I use over one of my good pans. I only make fire starters, not logs, but you might consider lining an old loaf pan with a newspaper (leave some of the paper hanging over the sides) and then mix wax and sawdust in an old coffee can or such, until the sawdust is completely coated. Place the mix into your pan and cover the top of the loaf with the newspaper. Perhaps a milk carton could also serve as a form and you could burn the entire thing. I saw this handy gadget from the UK which might give you some ideas. It appears to be a pipe you stuff and compact with a plunger. Good luck! Be safe!

Product Details:

Made in the UK from 100% recycled polypropylene, this innovative Logmaker makes it quick and easy to turn waste materials you'd usually throw away into free fuel for your open fire, wood burning stove, chimney, barbecue or campfire.

Virtually any burnable material can be used in the Logmaker such as newspaper, junk mail, cardboard, packaging (including egg boxes and cereal packets), teabags, dried garden waste, wood shavings, sawdust and much more.

The 100% Recycled Logmaker makes it possible for practically anyone, from the age of 5 to 85, to produce compact, newspaper-encased "logs" in minutes. A burnable log made entirely from paper might be used as a substitute for firelighters and would burn for approximately 10 minutes, whereas a denser log made using mainly sawdust, wood shavings or other more solid waste, can burn for up to an hour. It is suggested that a mixture of waste materials are used to increase burning time.

At just 37cm high with a diameter of 9cm and weighing 500 grams, the 100% Recycled Logmaker is compact and lightweight, making it easy to store or take away with you.

It is the perfect gift idea for recycling enthusiasts and owners of open fires, barbecues or wood-burning stoves.

How does it work?

1. Place the outer tube onto a piece of newspaper.

2. Loosely roll the paper around the tube and tuck the overhanging paper into the opening at the base.

3. Fill the tube with burnable waste and compress with the plunger.

4. Grip the outer tube and slowly push the plunger to eject the paper casing and contents.

5. Seal the open end of the log and, hey presto, your log is ready for burning!

Height: 37cm

Diameter: 9cm

Weight: 500g

I was thinking the same thing; get old, used candles at any nearby thrift shop because I know from trying to find paraffin, it's not worth the cost. Another suggestion I have is to skip the parafin altogether. If you have access to lots of sawdust, pack it in cereal boxes, cardboard egg cartons, macaroni boxes, anything cardboard. (I raid recycling bins) that way they're free. You can use tape to close up the ends or sides of boxes. Or even better, if you have an old t-shirt or something no one can wear, cut it in strips to use as ties.

Cheap string or yarn from a thrift shop is good, but free from the rag pile is better!

Try going to , they sell a lot of those kind of products.

I haven't made fire logs but I've made fire starters using sawdust or wood shavings which you can buy at pet stores; the type used in rodent cages. (Look for unscented ones.) I put the shavings or sawdust in empty cardboard egg cartons, (not styrofoam,) then melt old candle stubs in an empty coffee can. Pour the melted wax over the shavings until they can't absorb any more, then allow them to cool. Break the egg carton apart into 12 sections and you have 12 little fire starters. Great for starting bonfires or fires at the beach in fire rings. Just tuck a few in and amongst the kindling wood and light them. It's the easiest way I have found to start a fire.

My girlfriend burned the whole house down while making candles. Please be ever so careful.

Consumer Advice Product FinderMarch 10, 2009
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Cleaning Candle Wax from Upholstery
Adult Diapers
Buying Adult Diapers in Bulk
Petroleum Jelly
Uses for Petroleum Jelly