Removing White Film From Dishes

Dishes cleaned in a dishwasher can develop an unsightly buildup of white film. This is a guide about removing white film from dishes.

October 17, 2011 Flag

It was either throw out my apple shaped dish, and several others if truth be known, or figure out how to get that ugly white film off of them. Elbow grease is not my favorite way of doing anything so desperation took over.

I read everything I could and citric acid kept coming up. Well Fruit Fresh is basically citric acid and I happened to have some so I gave it a try. I put around 2 tablespoons in 4 cups of cold water and immersed my apple dish in it, 5 minutes later I checked it. I couldn't believe my eyes it was sparkling clear. No elbow grease needed. I dried it and put it in the cupboard looking like new. You must try it to believe and save your elbows!

By Ann from Loup City, NE

White vinegar does the same.

I have to try this--but in the meantime if you don't have any Fruit Fresh but do have Mr. Clean liquid cleaner--use that ---works great--I filled up the cloudy glass with hot tap water and a couple of capfulls of Mr. Clean---5 minutes--perfectly clear glass!

May 29, 2012 Flag

I use Cascade packs. I also use Jet Dry rinse agent in the rinse receptacle. My dishes have a white film on them. How do I get rid of the film?

By Toni M

Best Answer

I use the same thing you do. Random film on the glasses one day, used lemon and/or lime juice (those lil plastic fruit shapes with lemon/lime juice in them that sits in your fridge forever, because you had that party that one time..) Squirted the juice in, filled with warm/hot water, let them sit for 5 minutes then swished it around in the glass and used a wash cloth. Film came right out/off. Vinegar is probably the best way to go, but the smell of vinegar makes me barf so citric acid for the win!

Throw 1-2 tablespoons of Country Time lemonade (powder) in the bottom of your dishwasher. Turn washer on. You will not believe how quickly the citric acid from the Country Time resolves the issue. (A little trick from a friend who's a plumber!)

November 6, 2010 Flag

I have been using Palmolive dishwasher liquid in my dishwasher. I have noticed that my dishes are coming out with a white film all over them. I contacted our local water company. They told me that the problem is not with the water. The problem is with the phosphates being removed from the dishwasher soaps.

I have checked the different brands of dishwasher soaps, both powders and liquids, and they all seem to have the phosphates removed. Since the phosphates have been removed, what can I do to get the dishes clean and free from the white film when the dishes come out of the dishwasher? Thanks for your help.

By Janet from Joplin, MO

Here's another solution. CitriClean of Florida also makes a powder that you add to each wash cycle. It's all natural and contains no phosphate. The nice part is that you use 1-2 tablespoons of CitriClean and only 1 tablespoon of your normal detergent. I use the cheapest store brand detergent and it works great with CitriClean. Dishes and the inside of my dishwasher look like new again.

My mom had the problem with white residue on her glasses. She tried the vinegar trick but it didn't work. She found a product that did the trick. It was a Finish product called "Quantum". It looks like a square yin yang with a red ball in the center of it. She has only had to use it three times in the past two months. Use them as needed I guess. Looks like you use one and it cleans things up for a few weeks until you need another.

November 22, 2011 Flag

What causes white residue on dishes after washing in a Kitchen Aide dishwasher? It does not wash off; I must use SOS or a scratcher to remove it. (I am using Cascade packets.)

By Patty A.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fill dishwasher with residue dishes. Pour 1 cup white vinegar into the bottom of the dishwasher and run a normal wash cycle. The vinegar naturally dissolves any hard-water residue or film without harming the dishwasher or dishes. Add the vinegar to the dishwasher cycle every three runs or so, as needed to combat white residue. If you have severe hard-water issues, use the vinegar every time you run the dishwasher, especially when washing glassware.

I agree with the previous poster; it sounds like hard water residue. Use vinegar to get rid of it. I used to put a cup of vinegar in the last rinse. You could also try different detergents. There may be a different kind that works better.

December 10, 2013 Flag

I have an old dishwasher and there was always a film on glasses. LemiShine worked, but was too expensive for the amount to use regularly. One day I bought Sunlight Lemonoxi complex powder. "No more film on the glasses."

March 26, 2010 Flag

Everytime I run the dishwasher to clean my dishes, they always come out filmy with etching? We've tried several different dishwater tabs, but nothing helps. Why is this and are my glasses ruined now?

By Trish from Northfield, MN

Try Lemi-Shine. It's in the dishwasher section. It's a dry powder type stuff. It is especially good if u have hard water. I had the same problem and my dishwasher was brand new. Was told about about his and it works great!

Clean your dishwasher with vinegar or CLR which you can purchase at the hardware/grocery store. Hard water. Make sure you wash when you know your household use of soft water is good. We forget aftet alot of loads of clothes, showers.

November 5, 2011 Flag

I use (for safety reasons) plastic cups, toothbrush holders, etc., in the bathroom. When I put these articles in the dishwasher, they come out with an ugly coating. Some plastics are more prone to this problem. Any suggestions for keeping the plastic crystal clear?

By Sylvia from Great Neck, NY

I just always wash this stuff by hand. Being it is hard for me to stand I fill a bowl with hot soapy water and take to my table to wash the items, then I go back to the sink, dump that water and get clear water to rinse, then dry the items and they go right back to the bathroom. I never have trouble with my plastic food storage containers getting a film on them when done in the dishwasher.

Is it a hard water film or a greasy film? If it is hard water, try a cup of vinegar in the final rinse. Also, try different soaps. Some are very prone to leaving a film, and may react differently in different types of water. If it is a greasy film, it may be coming from other dishes that are in the dishwasher at the same time, something like a plate with a lot of bacon grease on it, for example.

March 10, 2013 Flag

All of my clear glass drinking glasses have a film on them from the dishwasher. I have changed detergent from Finish to Cascade, but no help. What else can be done besides hand-washing?
Thanks.

By Nolasandy

It sounds like you have hard water, the only thing that helped me, was to get a water softener. Before I had the money to do that, I never let the dishes go through the dry cycle, and I added sea salt to the rinse cycle. This helped, but did not eliminate the problem. Do you have a "rinse aid dispenser"? To save money instead of adding Finish or Jet Dry, add vinegar.

Try using white vinegar in rinse cycle.

August 21, 2013 Flag

The government started recommending a reduction in phosphorus in detergent back in the '70's and many dish washing detergent companies lowered the amount in their products.

November 10, 2001 Flag

Does anyone know of a way to remove the milky haze (stain) that accumulates on glass's after being washed in the dishwasher repeatedly? It scrapes of with a finger nail, so the glass is not etched. Is there a home remedy, or a product I could buy? Please help.

November 6, 2010 Flag

How do I clean my dishwasher? My dishes have a film on them.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesFebruary 12, 2013
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Film Canister
Uses for Film Canisters
Apple shaped and stemmed glass dishes after cleaning.
Removing Cloudy Film on Glass
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🎉
🎄