Removing White Film From Dishes

Dishes cleaned in a dishwasher can develop an unsightly buildup of white film. This is a guide about removing white film from dishes.

White Film on Dishes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Apple shaped and stemmed glass dishes after cleaning.It was either throw out my apple shaped dish, and several others if truth be known, or figure out how to get that ugly white film off of them. Elbow grease is not my favorite way of doing anything so desperation took over.

I read everything I could and citric acid kept coming up. Well Fruit Fresh is basically citric acid and I happened to have some so I gave it a try. I put around 2 tablespoons in 4 cups of cold water and immersed my apple dish in it, 5 minutes later I checked it. I couldn't believe my eyes it was sparkling clear. No elbow grease needed. I dried it and put it in the cupboard looking like new. You must try it to believe and save your elbows!

By Ann from Loup City, NE

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use Cascade packs. I also use Jet Dry rinse agent in the rinse receptacle. My dishes have a white film on them. How do I get rid of the film?

By Toni M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had the same problem with the white film. I was told to get a water softner. The small town where I live put in a new water system and I was told they had to turn the main water softner off. I never did get a water softner, as I don't have well water. As soon as they turned it on my dishes started coming out crystal clean.

Read More Answers...

I have been using Palmolive dishwasher liquid in my dishwasher. I have noticed that my dishes are coming out with a white film all over them. I contacted our local water company. They told me that the problem is not with the water. The problem is with the phosphates being removed from the dishwasher soaps.

I have checked the different brands of dishwasher soaps, both powders and liquids, and they all seem to have the phosphates removed. Since the phosphates have been removed, what can I do to get the dishes clean and free from the white film when the dishes come out of the dishwasher? Thanks for your help.

By Janet from Joplin, MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My mom had the problem with white residue on her glasses. She tried the vinegar trick but it didn't work. She found a product that did the trick. It was a Finish product called "Quantum". It looks like a square yin yang with a red ball in the center of it. She has only had to use it three times in the past two months. Use them as needed I guess. Looks like you use one and it cleans things up for a few weeks until you need another.

Read More Answers...

Everytime I run the dishwasher to clean my dishes, they always come out filmy with etching? We've tried several different dishwater tabs, but nothing helps. Why is this and are my glasses ruined now?

By Trish from Northfield, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Search for CitriClean of Florida. They make a powder that you add to each wash cycle. You need to use only 1 tablespoon of the cheapest store brand detergent plus 1-2 tablespoons of CitriClean. So your cost per wash does not increase! All natural product that contains no phosphate.

Read More Answers...

What causes white residue on dishes after washing in a Kitchen Aide dishwasher? It does not wash off; I must use SOS or a scratcher to remove it. (I am using Cascade packets.)

By Patty A.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with the previous poster; it sounds like hard water residue. Use vinegar to get rid of it. I used to put a cup of vinegar in the last rinse. You could also try different detergents. There may be a different kind that works better.

Read More Answers...

All of my clear glass drinking glasses have a film on them from the dishwasher. I have changed detergent from Finish to Cascade, but no help. What else can be done besides hand-washing?
Thanks.

By Nolasandy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try using white vinegar in rinse cycle.

Read More Answers...

I use (for safety reasons) plastic cups, toothbrush holders, etc., in the bathroom. When I put these articles in the dishwasher, they come out with an ugly coating. Some plastics are more prone to this problem. Any suggestions for keeping the plastic crystal clear?

By Sylvia from Great Neck, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is it a hard water film or a greasy film? If it is hard water, try a cup of vinegar in the final rinse. Also, try different soaps. Some are very prone to leaving a film, and may react differently in different types of water. If it is a greasy film, it may be coming from other dishes that are in the dishwasher at the same time, something like a plate with a lot of bacon grease on it, for example.

Read More Answers...

I have an old dishwasher and there was always a film on glasses. LemiShine worked, but was too expensive for the amount to use regularly. One day I bought Sunlight Lemonoxi complex powder. "No more film on the glasses."

This same company makes Sunlight liquid and it works too. Now, since that was 3 of their dishwashing products which worked well, I am looking at all their products - one of which is Wisk laundry detergent which Consumer Guide rated as high as Tide - so I will try that and it is cheaper than Tide!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone know of a way to remove the milky haze (stain) that accumulates on glass's after being washed in the dishwasher repeatedly? It scrapes of with a finger nail, so the glass is not etched. Is there a home remedy, or a product I could buy? Please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Oooooooh I loved this one and it worked so well... I had a problem once where a plate blocked the soap dispenser in the dishwasher. The dishes came out completely dull, cloudy, and with a nasty texture, not to mention the ones that had food particles and other junk on them. I read that soaking the dishes in your sink in warm vinegar for 1 hour would do the trick. Well, obviously I didn't have enough vinegar to submerge all my dishes, so I improvised. I filled a tall pot with warm tap water all the way to the top, added about 2 cups room-temperature vinegar and submerged the glasses in it for one hour. It worked well, but I reused the water for the next batch of dishes, kept them in for 30 minutes and worked just as well. Then all my cutlery for 30 minutes with the same water and it did wonders. After each batch I hand-washed the dishes and set them out to dry. They are now sparkling clean. I heard baking-soda does the same (haven't tried it).

Read More Answers...

The government started recommending a reduction in phosphorus in detergent back in the '70's and many dish washing detergent companies lowered the amount of phosphorus in their products over the decades since. Same for laundry detergent. Phosphorus runoff causes algae blooms, most common in the Great Lakes. The EPA and various other green groups and individuals dislike algae blooms because it sometimes kills the fish that need the oxygen the algae uses up.

Eventually various State government felt the need to act, but without all the information, and banned phosphorus from various products. The companies that make dish washing and laundry detergent, rather than make different mixtures for different states, simply removed it.

Whammo...white film on your glasses and gritty sand like particulates. Phosphorus is what prevents that from happening.

Unfortunately, it was easier to target the consumer than farmers and industries that leach phosphorus into the runoff all the time. Phosphorous is a major component of most fertilizers. So while they are spreading it on the ground by the ton, the government went after us by the spoonful.

Alternatively, municipal water treatment systems could have been retrofitted to remove phosphorous just like they remove a host of other chemicals we don't like to go into the water but again, it's just easier for the government and pressure groups to ban something than to think about alternate solutions.

As far as a solution, go buy a box of trisodium phosphate from Home Depot and add some to your detergents.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I clean my dishwasher? My dishes have a film on them.

By Pat L. from Phoenix, AZ

Answers:

White Film On Dishes

Put a packet of lemonade Kool-Aid in the detergent cup and run it with no dishes. If this doesn't help then maybe it's just your dish soap. I use BioKleen automatic dish powder and my dishes are spotless. Hope it works! (01/31/2010)

By CuckooNest

White Film On Dishes

It is permanent etching from using an automatic dishwasher. Hand wash (great for your hands) and you won't ruin the finish on your dishes or glasses. Thrift stores are full of originally beautiful dishes and glassware that looks like that. My 50 (a good many) year old glassware and dishes that have been hand washed nearly everyday still look brand new. Sorry you didn't know this sooner. (02/03/2010)

By EGGZ

White Film On Dishes

I have hard water that does this. We find putting vinegar in the rinse cycle helps eliminate the film. (02/03/2010)

By Pennypacer

White Film On Dishes

Try putting vinegar in where you normally put the Jet Dry, first! That's it! When your dishes start to look like they are getting the white film again, refill it. You will be surprised how long in between refills, and how much vinegar fits in that little hole. I have been doing that for years. Good luck. (02/03/2010)

By freebyrdz

White Film On Dishes

I had the same problem. I tried the stuff that cleans dishwashers, as well as, putting vinegar in every load, which made it a little better. I finally tried the Cascade Complete. What a difference. It is more expensive, but well worth it as I was putting half of the dishes back through again or hand washing them when they came out. Some of the dishes I thought were permanently stained, but after several washes they actually looked better. (02/03/2010)

By Gail216

White Film On Dishes

I'm in Tucson and just about 2 weeks ago started having the same problem (again). The only thing I've found that works is a product called LemiShine. I found it at Fry's and it's kind of expensive (about $5 for a container like a smallish coffee creamer). It was in the dishwashing section.

I put regular detergent (I use Great Value from Walmart which is rated as highly as Cascade Complete, but is a lot cheaper) in the pre-rinse cup and LemiShine in the main cup, then run as usual. Everything came out clear and the film was gone.

I don't know why this happens. It has happened three times in the 8 months I've lived in my house and it goes as mysteriously as it comes. I've been using this combination for a couple of loads and hope to stop soon. Good luck! (02/03/2010)

By Katie A.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get my glasses to come out of the dishwasher clear instead of with this milky looking film on them? You can't feel the film or taste it, but it makes my glasses look terrible.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Answers:

White Film on Glasses

Crystal glasses should never be put into the dish washer, it makes them "etch", tiny scrapes on the polished surface. A glass, made of glass, will do the same thing over time. Since it is actually cutting into the polished surface, I am unsure if it is fixable. (04/23/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

White Film on Glasses

A repairman told me this is from too much soap. Don't use the name brand detergent. Go to the dollar store and get their large inexpensive box of dish washer detergent. Put your glasses in the dishwasher with a cup of vinegar to help get the film off and then use the cheap detergent. After a few washings, the glasses will be spotless. You can also use the Walmart Great Value brand. (04/28/2009)

By kwgzzs

White Film on Glasses

Make sure that you have some kind of rinsing agent like Jet Dry in your dishwasher.
      To remove the film just fill a dish with enough vinegar so that you can roll the glass in it, the film will come right off. Put back in dishwasher. I save the vinegar and reuse it for the same purpose if needed again. (04/28/2009)

By PICO

White Film on Glasses

Sometimes this is etching, and sometimes it is caused by the quality of the water or the type of detergent. When I had this problem, I tried different detergents, and found one that kept the glasses shining. In another house, with different water, I had to pour a cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle every time.

When I had some "unbreakable" duralex glasses, they always had a film on them. My friend who handwashed never had a problem. I have a couple of glass mugs that are cloudy; they are very old. However, I have a glass that I know is at least 36 years old, and it has been washed in the dishwasher for all of those years, and it is just as shiny as when it was new. So, sometimes, it is the quality of the glass, and there is not much that you can do. I don't think the price of the glass has anything to with it as jam jars are less likely to film than fancy glasses. (04/28/2009)

By louel53

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am using the borax and washing soda dishwasher soap mixture as well as white vinegar in the rinse aid holder. My dishes are still coming out with a white film on them. I have tried the light wash, the normal wash and the pots and pans wash settings on my dishwasher. Nothing is helping.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get white film off glasses from the dishwasher? It's a new machine and the glasses look foggy.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My daughter did not let me know that we were out of dishwasher soap and proceeded to use the liquid Jet Dry as soap. Every dish had a chalky film on it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Home and Garden Cleaning DishesFebruary 12, 2013
      Hand washing shower wall
      Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
      Film Canister
      Uses for Film Canisters
      Apple shaped and stemmed glass dishes after cleaning.
      Removing Cloudy Film on Glass
      Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
      Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 12:43:44 PM on 10.0.1.14 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.