Fourth of July Coffee Cake

contest winner icon
Easy and totally delicious. Not just for breakfast either. It's a very nice afternoon tea treat. It's one of the easiest coffee cakes to put together.

• 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup shredded or flaked coconut
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • Ad
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 (8 oz.) carton sour cream

Directions:

Directions: Preheat over to 350 degrees F.

Combine the half cup sugar, cinnamon, pecans, and coconut. Stir well and set aside.

Cream butter and gradually add the 1 cup of sugar, beating well. Add eggs one at the time, beating well after each addition.

Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream, beginning and ending with flour.

Spoon half the batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Sprinkle half of the pecan mixture over batter. Repeat with the other half of batter and topped with the last half of the pecan mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until cake tests done.

Cool 5 minutes in pan, then invert cake onto serving plate. Cool.

You can drizzle a simple confectioner's sugar glaze if you like, but it really doesn't need it.

Makes 1 delicious 10-inch Coffee Cake.

Servings: 8 Generous servings
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45-50 Minutes

Source: My sweet friend Ginny who taught me so many good things. When we lived in St. Petersburg, we'd spend almost every Fourth of July on the beach at Pasadena outside the "big city". Pasadena had such great fireworks and looked so beautiful over the water.

This was a favorite that Ginny would bake for our 3 daughters who loved it.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Excellent recipe.I almost always add a bit more vanilla extract than a recipe calls for. Also a variation is adding almond extract instead of the vanilla. Banana or lemon works great too!

Thanks again for another mouth watering recipe. : )

Keeper

I might leave out the nuts and coconut, but the rest sounds yummy!

I like the sound of this as something to eat in the afternoon since I like to have a protein at breakfast when I have time. Seems to keep me going longer, but about 3pm, I need a sweet break. You sure make it sound easy enough and I'm a novice at yeast doughs.

Thank you for the recipe.

HokeyPoke

We don't have the coconut, but everything else is here and ready to go. Sunday morning will see this on my table. We love good homemade coffee cake, anytime of the day. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

StarWarsCollector

And I might add extra nuts & coconut! This recipe has everything I love in it & my mouth is watering just imagining it! It sound delicious! I would think it would also work to put it in a regular cake pan instead of a tube pan, wouldn't you? I might try it both ways & see which we like better.

Thanks for the recipe!

I really must try this. We have a Saturday Ladies Card Game once a month, and this would make a great addition to the lunch we potluck before the games start. I sometimes get so tired of the same old stuff all the time, and we've not had a coffee-cake on the table that I can remember. Second Saturday every month, so I have plenty of time to bring in what I need. Thanks for a great idea and recipe.

Lee

Oh, this does sound yummy! I love that it is a coconut cake with a tunnel nuts and spices in the middle! I have everything but the nuts, so I might just try it with extra spice filling to replace them. I just have to find my bundt cake pan! Everyone will love this.

Thank you to everyone for the supportive feedback.

Keeper, I love the flavor of orange, so I often add a bit of orange extract to cakes and cookies, depending on the other ingredients. Orange goes very well in most chocolate cakes and cookies.

LyonPride, I'm not sure about using a 9"x13" pan. It might not allow you to make the proper "tunnel", but try it by all means. Let us know how it turns out. The ingredients which make the "mixture" for the tunnel might work as a cake topping prior to baking. I didn't have a real bundt cake pan for a long time, but used an angelfood cake pan which worked OK. Not as pretty though.

Making do with what we have is always a good way to learn something new. I enjoy hearing how others deal with situations that require changes to a recipe.

Pookarina

When I first read this, and knowing I didn't have a bundt cake pan, I was disappointed until I read your note to LyonPride saying to just use the "tunnel" mixture as all topping and bake it in a rectangular cake pan. I got up bright and early this morning and baked my coffee cake, doing the topping as you suggested. If it was to get part of the "tunnel" mixture on top, why not all of it? It worked just fine. Thought I'd let you all know The topping might be a little more than you'd normally use, but when I added it, I just patted it down a little so that part of it went into the batter instead of just lying on top. I wish you could smell this. The coffee is all ready, and I'm just cutting it. Can't wait for it to cool anymore. What a great way to start off a new week.

I also saw your note about adding other extracts or flavoring, and I agree with Keeper. I want to try her almond. This is the best cooking newsletter on the internet, by far. I get the best tips and recipes here than from any other website and I've learned so many good ideas and ways of doing everything.

Thank you Pookarina and thank your friend Ginny for us too.

Suziq9

Layered bundt pan shaped coffee cake
Fourth of July Coffee Cake
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cakes CoffeeJune 24, 2011
Red, White, and Blue Jello Parfait
Red, White, and Blue Jello Parfait
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Patriotic garden ball
Fourth Of July Crafts
Fourth of July Doughnuts
Fourth of July Recipes
🎉
🎄