Beach Reminder Jars
I picked up these interesting little jars at a thrift store for 25 cents. They sort of reminded me of perfume jars so I thought they would be nice in the bathroom.
I painted simple sailboat scenes on the lids, and filled them with cotton balls, etc. Add a few sea shells from your vacation and place them on a coordinating hand towel (like a mini beach towel) on a shelf to remind yourself of those soothing beach days all year 'round!
Approximate Time: 30 minutes, depending on the scene you paint.
- interesting jars with one-piece metal lids
- "Goo Gone" or other sticker remover
- white spray paint
- acrylic paints, white, aqua, sky blue, coral, brown, and varnish
- large flat brush and small flat brush
- Remove stickers with Goo Gone if necessary. Wash and dry jars and lids.
- Spray paint lids white. Allow to dry as recommended on can.
- Now paint the scene. (No need to dry between steps 3 through 6). With large flat brush dipped in sky blue and then in a little bit of white, paint in "sky" with vertical strokes on top half of lid.
- Also with large flat brush, this time dipped in aqua and little bit of sky blue, paint "ocean" with horizontal strokes on bottom half of lid.
- With small flat brush tip, loaded with white paint, lightly tap in clouds.
- With small flat brush dipped in coral and a little bit of brown, add boats, with the same tapping motion.
- Add "masts" using brown. With dirty brush, dipped in white, tap in the "sails" over top of mast.
- When scene is dry, use small flat brush to paint a band of coral around edge of lid.
- When all is dry, paint 2 thin coats of varnish on lid, drying between coats.
By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA
August 13, 20090 found this helpful
They look very pretty and your directions are quite clear and precise. Thank you for this tip.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on December 3, 2016 at 4:23:17 AM on 10.0.0.45 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us