How Do I Preserve Inkjet Iron-on Transfers?

Is there something I can use to stop iron-ons from peeling and flaking when washed? Last Christmas I made my kiddies some really cool pillow cases and the adults place mats with iron on designs I had made with my Inkjet printer and dang, every one of them flaked and peeled and are ruined. I tried Googling, but no help. Thanks.

By Keeper from Blue Ridge Mts., NC

I've never done this myself but here are some ideas. Write to the manufacturer of the iron-on sheets and ask them about it. You might try washing and drying items before doing the iron-on. DO NOT use any fabric softener. I do this before making any fabric iron-on projects. They seem to stick better because you have washed out all the sizing and other chemicals that the manufacturers put in those things.

DeBushe, thanks for your reply. I know about not using fabric softener, so that's not the problem. I'll look into the manufacture. Thanks again.

You might have found out something by now, but I've done lots of iron ons, and not had that problem. I know you have to iron on exactly as it says on the manufacturer's directions. I wash mine in cold water, permanent press cycle, turned inside out, and hang up to dry. Never had any problems with cracking and peeling, even with pillowcases used on pet beds that were washed frequently. (Cute with your pet's pic on it!)

Good luck!

sequin iron-on transfers
Using an Iron-on Transfer
Consumer Advice Clothing RepairingOctober 28, 2010
Printer ink color cartridges.
Saving Money on Toner & Inkjet Cartridges
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Someone curling hair with a pink and black curling iron.
Cleaning a Curling Iron
clothes iron
Crafts Using Iron On Transfers