Growing Mimosa Trees from Seed

Is it easy or difficult to plant a mimosa tree from seeds? I collected some seed pods just outside of my city (in VA) and want to plant them, but I would like some tips. Also, how do I find out if my city or area of the country prohibits or discourages propagation of mimosa trees?

By Cheryl from Washington DC

Answers

PLEASE check with your local agriculture department before you start planting mimosa seeds! While these trees may be pretty from far away, they are a real PAIN in the clean-up department to have in your yard! The flowers are messy, the leaves are messy, the trunks split easily, ants LOVE to farm the aphids that are attracted to the flower pollen and nectar...