Bug Eating My Rose of Sharon

There is a black bug with tiny red spots eating the devil out of my Rose of Sharon seed pods, still on the bush! Any idea what these things are and what to do about them?
Thanks
Rachel

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

try making a spray from dishwashing liquid and water, and spray on there, if that doesn't help, try vegetable oil ( canola oil etc) and cayenne pepper.

Hi, Sounds like you have aphids on your Rose of Sharon, a good product to use is Immunox. Read the label and follow as directed. I have lots of Rose of Sharons and the have a tendency to get aphids alot.

Hi Rachel,

There aren't many bugs that like the rose of sharon other than the Japanese beetle and the scentless plant bug. Take a look here and click on 'Niesthrea louisianica' in the first paragraph for a picture.

http://ipm.ncsu.edu/current_ipm/03PestNews/03News22/ornament.html

If this is your pest, you really needent do anything as they aren't considered that much of a pest and they will be food for some other predator. You could always pick them off and drop them into a bucket of soapy water.

With no disrespect to the guest poster that recommended Immunox, I wouldn't use anything like that. You can click on the chemicals in it at the bottom of this page for what is in it. You can also use this site to search the other products listed at the other site I referred you to.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.go ... ld/brands?tbl=brands&id=19020022

Take a look here for environmentally and human friendly products you can use.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_org_research.php?id=5

Newt

Did you ever discover what the bug was and how to control. I think I have the same thing. They lay eggs in the flower and as the flower acts as a coccon-- they turn the flower into an ugly black tube. Help

I have a strange looking bug, spider, whatever on my Rose of Sharon tree. can anyone identify it. The pic looks like the coloring is black and gold but where you see dark it is a purple color. Sorry for the fuzziness the bug is really tiny and my camera not that good.

how can I rid myself of this strange creature.

How do you repair the branch after the bug has made a home in it. The branch is still alive but it is falling, I've tied it up. Will it self mend or is there a glue out there.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Pest ControlOctober 27, 2004
Rose of Sharon
Rose of Sharon Not Blooming
Rose of Sharon
Growing Rose of Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Transplanting a Rose of Sharon
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 9:10:32 PM on 10.0.0.64 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.