Reusing Glass Bottles

Instead of recycling or throwing out your glass bottles, there may be another way you can use it. This is a guide about reusing glass bottles.

September 21, 2010 Flag

The economy has affected many of us in the last couple of years. Trying to shop for a family of five and stay within budget isn't easy sometimes, especially when you are trying to buy healthy items that everyone will like.

Sometimes it is tempting to buy soft drinks as a treat because they're on sale, but I try to avoid them. I decided to try the bottled teas instead. They are more expensive, but because they are glass, I wash them with a bottle brush and refill them with filtered water.

I keep them in the fridge so the kids can grab them anytime, and as a result, they're drinking more water. I tell them to put them in the sink to be rewashed and used, so we aren't littering landfills with plastic water bottles.

It might just be me, but the water tastes so much better out of glass bottles!

By Jeannie from Valdosta, GA

We do the same thing, Jeannie! I bought Sobe a long time ago, and refill them over and over. No plastic poisons; just our well water or sun tea! Thanks for sharing.

My boys enjoyed dilute juice in glass bottles and I still do. I guess ours was the first vitamin flavored water. (laughing)

I agree! Water does taste better out of a glass bottle. I have been using glass bottles for water for years, I have found some interesting bottles over the years. One of my favorites was from a French Lemonade drink (it was a bit spendy just for the juice, but not a bad price for the reusable bottle). It has one of those old style flip rubber stoppers, it seals great and I have never had a problem of leaking.

I like the idea of filling juice bottles up with water or watered down juice for the kids. I bet they just think it is fun to drink out a bottle.

I keep wine and champagne bottles. Also any other bottles that has a pretty color. I make faux sea glass from them. I put them in my rock tumbler and it gives them that frosted look of sea glass or beach glass. They are just beautiful.

June 18, 2010 Flag

Recycle standard size, screw-cap soft drink bottles for your family. I have found using the screw-cap soft drink bottles are wonderful for taking drinks with me to work for my small office refrigerator. They freeze very well and are great for car trips.

February 19, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know where I can purchase 1 gallon "glass" bottles that I can take to the grocery store to refill with water? I've been reusing Gatorade bottles, but I'm concerned about using the plastic bottles over and over.

I've been cleaning them with vinegar, but I'm not sure if that's such a good idea. I'd like to use glass, because it's easier to clean.

By Betty

I dont know how many you want to purchase but I wanted a glass bottle for filtered water in the fridge so I bought milk at the grocery store that comes in glass bottles (half gallon and also smaller sizes) and used them after the milk was gone. You have to pay a deposit on the bottles usually beside the price of the milk but it was still cheaper than buying an empty bottle. Mine has a plastic cap but some only come with paper caps.

Natural food stores also sell milk this way if you grocery store does not. They might also sell empty glass bottles now with all the concern about plastics.

To me water and milk taste so much better and colder in glass than plastic.

EDIT: After reading Jilson's comment below I agree. We use the Brita pitcher filtering system and love it. It comes out to less than $2 a month for us. Depends on how much filtered water you go through. And the replacement filters go on sale quite often nowadays.

In spite of all the FUD and hoaxes forwarded by AOLers, plastic bottles are quite safe. All those companies won't

use anything, that might get them sued. Believe it or not, Bleach bottles are the toughest and use the best plastic.

Even bleach or most acids won't interact with it.

Some brands of Orange Juice come in flat gallon jugs with very comfortable handles, just like Anti-Freeze and Motor

Oil jugs. There is no need to lug heavy and dangerous glass jugs around.

As another reader pointed out, in the long run a filter is the best solution. As long as you don't buy them through

an MLM, they are quite affordable. For example an Aquasana 4000 is just under $100, and if you replace the

filter cartridge at the recommended times, which nobody does, the water costs you under 10 cents per gallon of

filtered table water.

I have also used industrial fuel filters for about twenty years. They are much cheaper. Just be careful not to use

water trapping cartridges. Those DO trap and block water! With regular cartridges your cost drops to below a penny

per gallon.

Have fun! DearWebby

As plastic ages, it can release trace amounts of Bisphenol-a (BPA) used to strengthen some plastics, and phthalates used to soften others. These chemicals are endocrine disruptor which mimic hormones. Even tiny concentrations can cause problems, including structural damage to the brain, hyperactivity, increased fat formation and altered immune function.

Heinz vinegar comes in glass bottles in the one liter and one quart sizes, but I don't know if they come in the gallon size. I use the 1 liter size and fill them with filtered water and keep them in my refrigerator. If you don't know what to do with all that vinegar, there are tons of ideas on this site:-)

My family loves pickles so I buy the gallon size jar of whole pickles from the bulk section at walmart. After the pickles are gone I always wash and reuse the jars.

May 21, 2012 Flag

Are there any good uses for the little bottles that contain hot sauce when empty?

By Freckles

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Remove the little plastic thing that helps the liquid to come out a few drops at a time and the after cleaning out bottle, pour vinegar in it.

For the times you only want a few drops in your food; like when making tuna fish.

Regular vinegar bottle openings allow too much to come out at once.

The same goes for glue or paint. After cleaning the little bottles, put the paint in. You have much more control and if the bottle tips not much will come out. Controls glue for kids too.

I make hot sauce and put in back in bottle.

March 4, 2013 Flag

What crafty thing can I do with small glass syrup bottles? Also medium size oak leaf shaped bottles. Thanks.

How's about a Macrame plant hanger? It looks beautiful with a plant inside.

September 10, 2010 Flag

Instead of paying for decorative bottles for my oil and vinegar, I use empty wine bottles. After washing them and letting them dry, I fill them with olive oil or vinegar and top them with plastic liquor pourers for handy use.

Better Living Green Living ReusingMay 1, 2012
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Milk Bottles
Uses for Glass Milk Bottles
Gluing Glass to Glass
Gluing Glass to Glass