Reusing Glass Bottles

Instead of recycling or throwing out your glass bottles, there may be another way you can use it. This is a guide about reusing glass bottles.

Empty Liquor Bottles
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 21, 2010 Flag

The economy has affected many of us in the last couple of years. Trying to shop for a family of five and stay within budget isn't easy sometimes, especially when you are trying to buy healthy items that everyone will like.

Sometimes it is tempting to buy soft drinks as a treat because they're on sale, but I try to avoid them. I decided to try the bottled teas instead. They are more expensive, but because they are glass, I wash them with a bottle brush and refill them with filtered water.

I keep them in the fridge so the kids can grab them anytime, and as a result, they're drinking more water. I tell them to put them in the sink to be rewashed and used, so we aren't littering landfills with plastic water bottles.

It might just be me, but the water tastes so much better out of glass bottles!

By Jeannie from Valdosta, GA

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 18, 2010 Flag

Recycle standard size, screw-cap soft drink bottles for your family. I have found using the screw-cap soft drink bottles are wonderful for taking drinks with me to work for my small office refrigerator. They freeze very well and are great for car trips.

February 19, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know where I can purchase 1 gallon "glass" bottles that I can take to the grocery store to refill with water? I've been reusing Gatorade bottles, but I'm concerned about using the plastic bottles over and over.

I've been cleaning them with vinegar, but I'm not sure if that's such a good idea. I'd like to use glass, because it's easier to clean.

By Betty

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In spite of all the FUD and hoaxes forwarded by AOLers, plastic bottles are quite safe. All those companies won't

use anything, that might get them sued. Believe it or not, Bleach bottles are the toughest and use the best plastic.

Even bleach or most acids won't interact with it.

Some brands of Orange Juice come in flat gallon jugs with very comfortable handles, just like Anti-Freeze and Motor

Oil jugs. There is no need to lug heavy and dangerous glass jugs around.

As another reader pointed out, in the long run a filter is the best solution. As long as you don't buy them through

an MLM, they are quite affordable. For example an Aquasana 4000 is just under $100, and if you replace the

filter cartridge at the recommended times, which nobody does, the water costs you under 10 cents per gallon of

filtered table water.

I have also used industrial fuel filters for about twenty years. They are much cheaper. Just be careful not to use

water trapping cartridges. Those DO trap and block water! With regular cartridges your cost drops to below a penny

per gallon.

Have fun! DearWebby

http://webby.com/humor

As plastic ages, it can release trace amounts of Bisphenol-a (BPA) used to strengthen some plastics, and phthalates used to soften others. These chemicals are endocrine disruptor which mimic hormones. Even tiny concentrations can cause problems, including structural damage to the brain, hyperactivity, increased fat formation and altered immune function.

Heinz vinegar comes in glass bottles in the one liter and one quart sizes, but I don't know if they come in the gallon size. I use the 1 liter size and fill them with filtered water and keep them in my refrigerator. If you don't know what to do with all that vinegar, there are tons of ideas on this site:-)

My family loves pickles so I buy the gallon size jar of whole pickles from the bulk section at walmart. After the pickles are gone I always wash and reuse the jars.

I buy juices and cider at our health food store in glass gallon jugs. They cost more, but I also reuse those glass jars.

Read More Answers...

May 21, 2012 Flag

Are there any good uses for the little bottles that contain hot sauce when empty?

By Freckles

Remove the little plastic thing that helps the liquid to come out a few drops at a time and the after cleaning out bottle, pour vinegar in it.

For the times you only want a few drops in your food; like when making tuna fish.

Regular vinegar bottle openings allow too much to come out at once.

The same goes for glue or paint. After cleaning the little bottles, put the paint in. You have much more control and if the bottle tips not much will come out. Controls glue for kids too.

I make hot sauce and put in back in bottle.

March 4, 2013 Flag

What crafty thing can I do with small glass syrup bottles? Also medium size oak leaf shaped bottles. Thanks.

By HJB

How's about a Macrame plant hanger? It looks beautiful with a plant inside.

http://pinterest.com/dianaoz/diy-projects-to-try/

September 10, 2010 Flag

Instead of paying for decorative bottles for my oil and vinegar, I use empty wine bottles. After washing them and letting them dry, I fill them with olive oil or vinegar and top them with plastic liquor pourers for handy use. They work (and look) great.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Better Living Green Living ReusingMay 1, 2012
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Milk Bottles
Uses for Glass Milk Bottles
Gluing Glass to Glass
Gluing Glass to Glass
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 1:39:30 AM on 10.0.2.141 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.