Browsing: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors From a Piano

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors From a Piano

Getting a piano at a good price or as an inheritance is exciting, unless it comes with a lingering cigarette odor. There are methods you can use to remove this offensive odor from your new acquisition. This is a guide about removing cigarette smoke odors from a piano.

Piano Keyboard

October 10, 2008 Flag

How do I get the cigarette smoke smell out of a piano? The people we bought it from smoked, and we are serious non-smokers. We should have known better, but we thought it would come out with a simple dusting! I now have a musical ashtray. It has smelled up my entire house. We are all sneezing, and that includes the dog.

I have packed it with newspaper, and gave it a double bath with Murphy's oil soap. Then dusted it again with a lemon oil. It now is worse than before. Any suggestions other than selling? Do you think it will eventually wear out or we will just get used to it? We don't want to get used to it, we would rather sell. Help!

Marcie from Athens, GA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Don't use mothballs. They are a terrible smell. Much worse than nicotine. Coffee and baking soda both work, and you can use both of them. You may have to keep changing the coffee and baking soda. I would put small dishes of each inside the piano. It might take a few weeks. And of course, the people who have suggested washing with the various substances are likely right on.

Another reader suggested odor elminator for around $20. You can go to WalMart and purchase the same thing in the automobile section. They are where the car air fresheners are located. I had fish is my vehicle and the smell lingered after the fish was removed. A large container is $4. better than $20. Enjoy your piano. Also my daughter rented a house that former renter smoked, it took all the smell away.

I am an asthmatic & I don't think you can ever get cigarette smell completely out of anything. It is really not healthy to inhale those chemicals. I would get rid of it. When I go to the Half Priced Book Store the first thing I do is smell the book. It really can make you sick smelling smoke & a lot of people don't realize it.

I know I will probably get admonished for saying anything about smoking but I grew up in a smoker's house before they knew it was harmful (I grew up with the ads on TV). I was sick much of my childhood until I moved away from home. I get sick when I am exposed to smoke such as in a restaurant etc. My son used to have a girlfriend that her parents smoked & when she came over she would hang her jacket over a kitchen chair & it absolutely reeked. My parents quit smoking when I was grown, but my father died from cancer at 53 years old. I am not meaning to harp but if you have kids talk to your family doctor & see what he says.

Marcie - just wondering if any of these suggestions worked out for you. We recently purchased a used piano and didn't realize it was a smoker's till the deal was done. Have tried vinegar and Murphy oil soap. Was able to get some of the goo off but the smell seems worse than before. Also, have baking soda in cups inside. What worked for you or did you decide to get rid of the piano?

Read More Answers...
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMay 18, 2013
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cigarettes
Cigarette Smoke Odors From Neighbors
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 6:19:02 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.