Cleaning a Quilt

Somehow when I washed a handmade quilt a red shirt or something red got into the washer also. As a result, the quilt is tinged with red. This happened a while ago and I forgot about it. I found it tucked away in a zipper bag I am sure I meant to get it out later and clean it. Well, its been a while. Any ideas how to clean the tint from it? It's color designed, so it cant be bleached. Please help?

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

You can try soaking with borax 1/4c & white vinegar 1c. & water... Not sure if it will take red out but does brighten whites :-)

Rit Dye has a package called Color Remover. I found it in the laundry section at the grocery store after I washed something red in a load of whites. If your quilt is machine washable, you might try this. Hope it helps.

Up close photo of a colorful koi quilt.
Cleaning a Quilt
Home and Garden Cleaning Linens and BlanketsNovember 8, 2006
Square Triangle Quilt
Squaring Up a Half Square Triangle Quilt Block
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 1:42:10 PM on 10.0.0.96 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.