It won't be long until we will be seeing the critters of spring. Whether you make a boy or girl caterpillar, kids will have fun making this simple craft.
Approximate Time: 1 hour
- ten 6 inch paper plates (more if you want the caterpillar longer)
- scraps of cardstock or google eyes
- orange acrylic paint
- other paint or markers for decorating
- pipe cleaner for antenna
- small pom pom for nose
- 1 1/2 ft of lace
- decorations for hair
- permanent marker for mouth
- hot glue
Note: You can make a longer caterpillar by adding two paper plates per joint.
- Paint the outside of the plates, let dry.
- While the plates dry, make your sets of legs. They are just a fat L shape with the bottom larger than the top.
- When the plates are dry, decorate them with the other colors of paint or markers.
- Glue two plates together with the painted side out, making 5 units.
- Now line up two units with one a couple of inches to one side from the other, using your hot glue secure them together.
- Add another unit to this one only slide it to the other side so they go back and forth making it look like the caterpillar is moving.
- You can also glue them in a straight line if you like.
- Continue until you get to the head, decorate the head before attaching it to the body.
- Cut antennas and glue them to the back top.
- Starting a little below mid-point on one side glue one end of your lace and follow the edge of the plates with the lace around to the mid-point on the other side, reverse and continue back to the starting point. Fold the ribbon back and match it into the starting end, glue it down.
- Cut out your eyes, glue them on, glue on the nose, draw on the mouth, add the hair decoration.
- Attach head to the body.
- Attach two feet to each section of the body, except for the head. Little Miss or Mr Caterpillar is ready for spring.
Note: For Mr Caterpillar you could cut out a hat shape and glue on instead of the lace, maybe a mustache under his nose also.
By Ann from Loup City, NE
May 1, 20110 found this helpful
I recognized the wallpaper and knew that had to be yours!! Too cute!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on November 23, 2016 at 10:30:12 AM on 10.0.1.63 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us