Moss Growing on Lilac Bushes

I have several lilac bushes that are covered with moss and lichen. They are dying. Are the lilacs dying because of the moss and lichen or is the moss and lichen growing on them because they're dying? What do I do about it? They are planted on the North side of my home as part of a lilac hedge in rainy Seattle! The others are doing okay but I worry the moss may spread to them.

By Cyinda from near Seattle

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I had the same problem with my crepe myrtles. I contacted the landscaper that planted these for me and he said that I first need to spray with a fungicide, then immediately dust with Sevin dust. I did, and it worked. If you don't get this under control, it will spread to other plants in your yard and you'll lose some of your landscape. Hope this helps.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJune 30, 2009
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Removing Moss from a Roof, Cleaning Moss off Roof
Removing Moss from a Roof
Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 1:43:21 PM on 10.0.2.254 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.