Browsing: Removing Soap Build Up in Laundry

Removing Soap Build Up from Laundry

I have a front load washer that saves energy with the water and electricity. I have found that my clothes are in need of softening up. There seemed to be a soap build up in them. I have a "rinse only" button on my machine.

I rinse the clothes first with white vinegar to remove any soap build up. Then I wash with 1/2 the soap and fabric softener, plus put the load on a light wash cycle. I have found my clothes are softer and the cost to do a load is less.

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have a comment and a question :o)

1. Do you think that you are possibly using too much fabric softener? It can cause a buildup also.

2. When you use the white vinegar - how much do you use? And does it ever affect the color of your garments?

Hi. I'm really just responding to your mention of soap buildup in your clothes. Do you use the high efficiency (he) soap that is recommended by the manufacturer? I have a GE frontload washer and I always use the he detergent that was mentioned in the book that came with the washer. A repairman told me that 90% of his service calls on front load washers was due to using the same detergents you had used with your top load washer. If you're not using it, perhaps that's the problem with the buildup. Also, I've read about a lot of people with frontload washers having trouble with musty, mildewy smells. I've wondered if that might have something to do with soap buildup in the machine. Also, I always leave my washer door open for hours after I've finished washing. I've never had a problem with smells and I've had mine two years.

Vinegar in the liquid fabric softener slot! Vinegar takes out soap buildup plus is a fabric softener that is great if you have sensitivities to scented products. It is an old wives tale my mom told me & it really works. I never use fabric softener or sheets now.

Vinegar has not affected the color of any of our clothes & I only use a quarter cup or so per load.

Did you know that front loaders have a special type of detergent to be used. The regular detergent has fillers.

March 7, 2001 Flag

From time-to-time it is a good idea to check and see how much soap is left in your clothes. You might be surprised!

Fill your washer with clothes and fill with the normal water temperature for the batch of clothes, then let them agitate for several minutes before adding soap. If there are lots of suds, cut back on the amount of soap.

Tip: Towels seem to hold soap and fabric softener the most.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Soap in Laundry
Removing Soap Build Up in Laundry
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryFebruary 27, 2008
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
HE Washer
Homemade Laundry Soap for an HE Washer
cleaning a tub
Removing Soap Scum from a Plastic Tub
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 9:02:37 PM on 10.0.2.128 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.