Caring for Lilac Saplings in the Winter

I have three brand new Lilac bushes and it is starting to get very cold here at night. 38 degrees this morning. I am wondering if it will hurt these young saplings to keep them inside for the winter, or if it is wiser to go ahead and plant them outside before the first snow really hits; which of course could be any time.

My understanding is that fall is the best time to plant the saplings. I would not take them inside -they need the cold/warm cycle of the seasons to grow well (that is why they don't grow down south) - if you are concerned about cold damage, mulch them well and put a burlap or other protective wrap around them.

Your lilacs can take the cold. I lived in Ct. for years and mine always survived the New England weather..You could put some Burlap around the bushes to prevent WIND BURN, this is what really damges the plants, Soak the roots well before you put them to bed for the winter. Many plants suffer because they get dehydrated and wind burned. good luck, jjs