A New Idea for Salad Spinning

If you don't have one of those expensive salad spinners, have some fun. Spin your salad greens and lettuce dry quickly without damaging them by washing them well, then put into a clean pillowcase. Step outdoors, and swing it over your head like a windmill. Swing in big circles. It sounds stupid, but try it. You'll be surprised. Kids love doing this.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

This really needs to be done outside as you indicated. If you don't, you'll be flinging droplets of water all over the place.

The first time I didn't feel like going outside.

HA!

Holly

I don't understand! The salad spinner I bought was only about $5.00. And I've used almost everyday for 31/2 years. Send me your address and I'll send you a gift cert. for one.

I go one step further . I never swing it over my head but place pillowcase in the wash machine on spin & let'er go .Been doing this for years & greens come out bone dry. I put it all in a tupperware container with a paper towel at bottom & top & into refridge it goes to crisp up. Try it it is a great tip. Don't forget to close up top of pillowcase with a rubber band so washer won't have lettuce flying about.

I don't guess I find this to be good advice....seems like more trouble than just spending a cheap amt on a salad spinner from a store....plus I live in IL and can't always go outside. I don't own a salad spinner anyway and just pull off how much lettuce I need, rinse and dry on paper towels.

Wal-mart has salad spinners for $3. They are not huge so if you are making an extremely large salad you may have to put your lettuce in a couple of times but still sounds better to me. My neighbors would think I went off my rocker if I tried your hint (even though it probably does work!) LOL, I'm sorry, but this was funny and I'm trying to get the picture in my mind!!!

Besides a pillowcase takes up less room than a salad spinner does! My salad spinner was about $3.00 or so, but it takes up one of my tiny kitchen shelves in my cabinets, alone, something that I didn't consider when purchasing it.

Drying Lettuce Leaves
Drying Lettuce Leaves for Salad
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJune 1, 2006
washing machine
Washer Not Spinning Properly
A repairman looking at a washing machine.
Repairing a Washer That Won't Drain or Spin
Front Loading Washer
Front Loading Washer Not Spinning
Wood Salad Bowl
Caring For Wood Salad Bowls
🎄