Wildlife: Rhinoceros (Rietvlei Nature Reserve, South Africa)

We went on a guided hike at the Rietvlei Nature Reserve, and were very fortunate to get within a few metres of one of nature's most amazing creatures. The day after the hike, two of the rhinos at the same reserve were killed by poachers.

In an effort to save the rest of the rhinos at the reserve, their horns were cut off. Poaching is currently a big problem in South Africa, so I feel very blessed to have been able to capture this animal before its horns had been cut off.

By Bessie from Pretoria, Gauteng

I love the free ride the bird is taking on the rhinos back. So glad you were able to capture a photo of such a glorious creature!

It sickens me to the pit of my stomach when human beings are so cruel to the point of near extinction of assorted animal species simply out of greed for an ornamental body part. :-(

Great picture. Thanks for sharing. I feel saddened that there are so many cases of people disrespecting nature and the earth. It usually always comes down to how much money they can make from their terrible deeds. Those people are 'lost' and don't know the true meaning of life here on earth.

The poaching is getting worse ~ in 2010, 333 rhinos were killed in parks all across South Africa, and in the year so far, another 130 have been killed. I can only hope that in a few years from now, we will still be able to appreciate this magnificent creature, and that it won't be another animal that has become extinct.

To Bessie: I loved your article about the rhino's. I spent 3 months in Pretoria and just loved it. My husband was working on the US Embassy there. Had a great time there, and it really is beautiful. Thanks, kamiseya67 AT yahoo.com

Rhinoceros
Rhinoceros Photos
Photos WildlifeMay 3, 2011
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Rhodesian Ridgeback Breed Information and Photos
Sun Star Plant
Caring for a Sun Star Plant
Windshield Washer Fluid
Windshield Washer Fluid is Frozen
Hoodia_gordonii
Identifying a Hoodia Gordonii Plant
🎄