What Makes the Beds So Comfortable at Nice Hotels?

Why is it that some finer hotel beds feel so comfortable? Someone told me that they put a thin blanket or something under the sheet. I don't know if its the mattress cover. We love a firm bed, but there is something totally cozy about the finer hotel beds. Hopefully you can solve the mystery.

Daphna from Alachua, Florida

Hotels tend to use a higher thread count in their sheets. Cheap sheets come in at around 250 threads per inch, top hotels will use 1000 threadcount sheets. These sheets can get pretty pricey so keep an eye out at sales.

Other reasons they are more comfortable is because the sheets are always clean and somebody else gets to make the bed :)

Maybe it is a set of really nice, high quality all cotton sheets with a high thread count. ?? I'm not sure, really. I've had really comfortable and I've had "normally comfortable" beds at hotels.

Most motels or hotals buy a motel grade mattress. They can buy them much cheaper than the retail mattress in the stores. The finer hotals buy a more expensive mattress, and use better quality of sheets and mattress pads. A really good mattress pad can make a bed so much more comfortable.

I have worked in a lot of hotels and really, there is nothing special. I wonder if it is the fact that you are away and relaxing?

I'm with the first poster....we didn't have to make the bed or do much of anything in the room....but they do use better quality sheets with higher thread count.

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency in St. Louis. It was the most comfortable bed I'd ever slept on at a hotel. The room had a catalog by which you could buy things identical to those used in their hotel rooms. The mattress (extra thick, pillow top) could be purchased for around $2000, the sheets (top and bottom) were a couple hundred each and pillow cases were like $50.00 per pair. There was also a thick pad on top of the mattress. I guess comfort really is expensive.

The hotels I go to use a thick memory foam topper to their mattress.

Just my opinion. I've never worked at a hotel so these are just guesses because I'm wondering myself. It's probably a variety of things. Here may be a couple:

1. They must obviously get good mattresses and linens, but I'm not sure it has to do with the thread count as much as it has to do with the blend. I have noticed several high end hotels with only 230 thread count sheets etc.

2. Having newly washed linens also makes a big difference, and many hotels may have them ironed as well. How they wash them and what is used to wash is probably a big factor.

3. I know a Hilton I stayed at put a pillow protector 2 inches in width smaller than the pillows to make it fluffier.

4. If you call Pacific Coast Feather Company you can tell them the hotel you stayed at and they will sell you the exact pillow made specifically for that hotel. I prefer to contact the manufacturer and see if they sell the specific item made for a particular hotel rather then buying from the hotel website. I just feel more comfortable I'm getting the exact product.

If anyone knows anything like how they wash their linens, what is used, or any secrets like smaller pillow protectors please inform us.

Ahhh..nothing like a wonderful bed for a great nights rest! Prior to retirement my business travel was extensive. When I retired I bought my own "heavenly" bed!

These links might aid in your search.

http://www.epinions.com/prices/The_Westin_Heavenly_Bed_by_Simmons/rom_~1

Let me just remind everyone when staying in a motel or hotel, be sure to carry your can of Lysol (whether its Lysol brand or dollar store brand!) Spray that mattress & the sheets thoroughly PLUS the spread. Then be sure to lay the TV remote on the bed and give a good spray, flip, spray the other side. The phone IF you intend to use it. Spray the floor; you do not want any nasty foot fungus. Spray your bathroom area well. Coat the toilet seat thoroughly top & bottom as well as the lid.

Spray the handle, the floor, tub, sink, shower curtain. Let the fan in the bathroom draw out the lysol sent for a while unless you are leaving. It will dissipate on its on. Open the door to let the room air. I even give a squirt to the AC/Heater unit. My husband & his co-worker stayed in this motel in FL and came down sick from breathing the mustiness of the AC unit and the room. As I say, my germs are my germs, your germs are your germs, lets not share anymore than necessary.

Consumer Advice Product FinderJanuary 23, 2008
stack of railroad ties
Using Railroad Ties for Raised Vegetable Beds
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
sunken garden beds
Sunken Beds for Arid Climates
curved flower beds
Shaping Flower Beds
🎄