Musty Smell In Suitcase

How do you get rid of the musty smell in luggage?

By Sondra from FL

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Put a few pieces of chalk or charcoal (not the kind with lighter fluid in it) in the case, close it up for a few days, the odor should be gone after. You can also try a piece of potato or apple. I've never used those but I have heard it works.

Good luck!

Best Answer

Try putting Fabric Softner sheets in suitcase and closing it up for a few days.

Best Answer

Try soaking a couple of crumpled up pieces of newspaper in regular vinegar, put them inside and close it up for a few days. It worked for me. Good luck. Regards, lori

Best Answer

Other things that are good for odors are baking soda and coffee grounds. Set a dish of one or the other, or both inside the suitcase and leave for a few days. You might also try one of those silica gel packs that comes with purchased items to remove moisture.

Best Answer

I just handled the problem with musical instrument cases, which are specialized luggage. Leave them open and spray daily with a few drops of tree tea oil in warm water. It's taken two weeks or so but the rank mold odor is almost completely gone.

I like Lysol Disinfectant in the brown bottle to help in removing stale odor. Just put in with water and wipe the interior well. Leave open to dry and if the odor is still pungent, then sprinkle some baking soda in it and close it up for a few days. Check it again and if the odor is still prevalent, then seek a professional.

You can line the bottom and sides of the luggage with a large cloth and place charcoal (non-fluid that lights it kind) in it. Close it up and leave it be for a few days and the charcoal will soak up the odor. The best part is that you can still use the charcoal on the barby. ;-)

Open one end of a box of antibacterial soap, like Irish Spring or Dial. Leave the hard soap in the box and put it in the suitcase and close it up for a week or so. This works well. To keep the suitcase smelling fresh, just put the open ended box with the soap in it back in your suitcase after your trip.

Answer

I would like to know how to get the musty smell out of an old suitcase. I am redoing the inside material. I tore the old out, but before putting new in I need to get rid of the musty odor.

Tina from Clare, Iowa

Answers:

Musty Smell In Suitcase

I would spray it down with hydrogen peroxide (yep, the cheap stuff from the drugstore) and after it dries close up the case with an open bag of plain charcoal like you use for the b-b-q. After a few days it should be odor free.
If this is a really old case made out of paperboard it may never stop smelling. The same mold that gets into old books gets into the paperboard and it is almost impossible to get that out. Good luck. (07/14/2006)

By Carla

Musty Smell In Suitcase

Open the suitcase and leave in the sun. This helps with musty odors. Also fill it with newspaper and closing it is another method as the newspaper absorbs the odor. When storing it, add crumpled newspaper to keep it smelling fresh. (07/14/2006)

By angellface

Musty Smell In Suitcase

I agree with the person who aired theirs out outside in the sun. But, as a preventive measure to avoid "musty" suitcases between trips, I throw in 1/4 to 1/2 bar of good smelling soap, perfume soap bars are nice, or something like Irish Spring is good. When you put away your suitcase, just throw the piece of a soap bar in. Smell stays nice. (07/14/2006)

By Glinda

Musty Smell In Suitcase

Have you tried Febreze ? It's a great product! I've used it on many things and it hasn't failed me yet. (07/14/2006)

By sadiejoy

Musty Smell In Suitcase

Trying placing a dryer sheet in the suitcase, closed tightly, for a couple of days. When my dog had a run-in with a skunk and rubbed her face on my cloth purse, that's the only thing that finally got the odor out. Good luck. (07/17/2006)

By Kate

Musty Smell In Suitcase

Put a few pieces of chalk or charcoal (not the kind with lighter fluid in it) in the case, close it up for a few days, the odor should be gone after. You can also try a piece of potato or apple. I've never used those, but I have heard it works.
Good luck! (10/05/2007)

By Doones

Musty Smell In Suitcase

Spray the inside of suitcase and leave open outside, with Simply Green. It works, you may have to do this a second time. Also removes cigarette smoke smell (I loaned my bag to a smoker-never again).

I also sprayed the the bag on my vacuum cleaner
and it removed the stink (not sure what it was), but it was bad. (10/12/2008)

By Judy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
An old suitcase sitting open.
Removing Odors From a Suitcase
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJanuary 27, 2011
cleaning bucket
Eliminating Musty Smells from a Room
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
Suitcase Dog Bed
Making a Suitcase Dog Bed
Packing a Suitcase, Suitcase Ready for Travel
Packing a Suitcase
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 10:56:40 AM on 10.0.1.206 in 730 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.