Cleaning Smoke Off Walls

Kitchen fires, candles and other occurrences can leave smoke residue on your walls. This is a guide about cleaning smoke off walls.

Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

How do I clean smoke from walls after a kitchen fire?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I can tell you how I would do it. First, I would get a fan large enough to keep the area well ventilated, place it where it is most effective and turn it on. Next, I would fill a large, clean, empty spray bottle with household ammonia. Add nothing to the ammonia, certainly not bleach. Any type of cleanser added would just cause you to have to rinse and would not improve the effectiveness of the ammonia.

With plenty of clean rags handy, start spraying the ammonia at the bottom most area of smoke damage. You will quickly learn just how much to spray and how many seconds to wait before wiping. It needs to stay on the wall 2-3 seconds, but not long enough to run down the wall.

From this point, work your way up the wall, either rinsing your rag in clear water often or switching to an unused one. How much ammonia, time and labor is involved depends on the amount of damage.

Is there an easy to clean candle smoke from walls and ceilings?

By Carol

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A solution of half vinegar, half water will clean the soot (and nicotine, other stainings) from your walls, and has the bonus value of freshening the air as well. Be sure to wash the ceilings too.

Read More Answers...

I have tried without success to remove smoke stains from a white electric range. When using the broiler and when the stove is turned on for self-cleaning, smoke comes up through the oven onto the white backside of the range. Nothing I've used so far including Soft Scrub will remove it. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

By fritzlouise from Ft. Myers, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm wondering if oven cleaner would remove the stain. Also try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Rubbing really hard when using it!

Read More Answers...

How do you get smoke stains off the walls from the fireplace?

By Jenny

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

TSP is Tri Sodium Phosphate. It's amazing for cleaning years of smoking off the walls, so it will work for this. Good Luck!

I recently had a house fire, what is the best way to clean heavy smoke damage on my walls, ceiling and hardwood floors?

Virginia Owens

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need some help on repairing our house from a fire and we are just settling with the insurance company but alot of the money is being held and the house has sat for about 16 months with nothing done until Jan of 2007 we have gutted all the rooms where the fire started and need to seal walls to paint and clean everything alot is being thrown away pls any help would be appreciated and where can I buy product to seal and clean and can carpet be cleaned after a fire it was just installed brand new before the fire?

Thank You and God Bless

Sylvia

Read More Answers...

Hello, Can some one help me? I have a smoke stained wall. Is there any thing that can get it out? Thanks raven46588

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You have to use oil based Kilz, not the latex. The stain will bleed through the latex Kilz. I learned this the hard way, after 3 coats of latex.

Read More Answers...

I am helping clean a 50 year old house that has severe smoke stains from a fireplace. The painted ceiling and walls of the living room are covered in a combination of dust, smoke from the fireplace, and soot. We are currently trying to get it off with sugar soap, but it doesn't seem to be working. The stains have been there for a while as the walls and ceiling haven't been cleaned for a number of years. If anyone has any low cost hints, it would be much appreciated.

Pegs

Cleaning Fireplace Smoke Stains off Walls and Ceiling

Tri sodium phosphate otherwise known as TSP can be purchased at any hardware store and should remove smoke stains from your walls. Be sure to wear rubber gloves when applying TSP as this is very caustic.

sewingmamma (07/15/2005)

By sewingmamma

Use Krud Kleaner available at Home Depot. Easy and effective. Will also clean oil spills on driveways, etc. (07/16/2005)

By ED

TSP does not work on fireplace smoke stains on painted walls. I tried many options, but found that vinegar worked the best. All of them required a lot of elbow grease. Be prepared for sore shoulders no matter what product you use. Painting is faster.
    (01/17/2009)

By Mel

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Home and Garden Cleaning WallsApril 4, 2012
    Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
    Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
    cigarette smell computer
    Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
    Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
    Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
    cleaning walls
    Removing Soot from Walls and Ceiling
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:13:20 PM on 10.0.1.167 in 263 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.