Cleaning Smoke Off Walls

Kitchen fires, candles and other occurrences can leave smoke residue on your walls. This is a guide about cleaning smoke off walls.

Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Filter Sort

Question: Smoke Stained Wall

Hello, Can some one help me? I have a smoke stained wall. Is there any thing that can get it out? Thanks raven46588

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

You have to use oil based Kilz, not the latex. The stain will bleed through the latex Kilz. I learned this the hard way, after 3 coats of latex.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Heavy Smoke Damage From Walls, Ceiling and Hardwood Floors

By Virginia Owens 1

I recently had a house fire, what is the best way to clean heavy smoke damage on my walls, ceiling and hardwood floors?

Virginia Owens

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I need some help on repairing our house from a fire and we are just settling with the insurance company but alot of the money is being held and the house has sat for about 16 months with nothing done until Jan of 2007 we have gutted all the rooms where the fire started and need to seal walls to paint and clean everything alot is being thrown away pls any help would be appreciated and where can I buy product to seal and clean and can carpet be cleaned after a fire it was just installed brand new before the fire?

Thank You and God Bless

Sylvia

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Smoke Stains on a Stove

By Suzanne Matsumoto 2 11

I have tried without success to remove smoke stains from a white electric range. When using the broiler and when the stove is turned on for self-cleaning, smoke comes up through the oven onto the white backside of the range. Nothing I've used so far including Soft Scrub will remove it. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

By fritzlouise from Ft. Myers, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sharon Cross 19 61 Flag

I'm wondering if oven cleaner would remove the stain. Also try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Rubbing really hard when using it!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Candle Smoke from Walls

By Carol 2

Is there an easy to clean candle smoke from walls and ceilings?

By Carol

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie 11 1,695 Flag

A solution of half vinegar, half water will clean the soot (and nicotine, other stainings) from your walls, and has the bonus value of freshening the air as well. Be sure to wash the ceilings too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Smoke Off Kitchen Walls

By rabbit 1

How do I clean smoke from walls after a kitchen fire?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By likekinds 114 508 Flag

I can tell you how I would do it. First, I would get a fan large enough to keep the area well ventilated, place it where it is most effective and turn it on. Next, I would fill a large, clean, empty spray bottle with household ammonia. Add nothing to the ammonia, certainly not bleach. Any type of cleanser added would just cause you to have to rinse and would not improve the effectiveness of the ammonia.

With plenty of clean rags handy, start spraying the ammonia at the bottom most area of smoke damage. You will quickly learn just how much to spray and how many seconds to wait before wiping. It needs to stay on the wall 2-3 seconds, but not long enough to run down the wall.

From this point, work your way up the wall, either rinsing your rag in clear water often or switching to an unused one. How much ammonia, time and labor is involved depends on the amount of damage.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Fireplace Smoke Stains off Walls and Ceiling

How do you get smoke stains off the walls from the fireplace?

By Jenny

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,132 Flag

TSP is Tri Sodium Phosphate. It's amazing for cleaning years of smoking off the walls, so it will work for this. Good Luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Smoke Stains Off Walls

I am cleaning walls that have been smoke covered. I left a pan on the stovetop and smoked out the house. I would like to know what to use to clean smoke off?

By Louise

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Cleaning Fireplace Smoke Stains off Walls and Ceiling

I am helping clean a 50 year old house that has severe smoke stains from a fireplace. The painted ceiling and walls of the living room are covered in a combination of dust, smoke from the fireplace, and soot. We are currently trying to get it off with sugar soap, but it doesn't seem to be working. The stains have been there for a while as the walls and ceiling haven't been cleaned for a number of years. If anyone has any low cost hints, it would be much appreciated.

Pegs

Feedback:

RE: Cleaning Fireplace Smoke Stains off Walls and Ceiling

Tri sodium phosphate otherwise known as TSP can be purchased at any hardware store and should remove smoke stains from your walls. Be sure to wear rubber gloves when applying TSP as this is very caustic.

sewingmamma (07/15/2005)

By sewingmamma

Use Krud Kleaner available at Home Depot. Easy and effective. Will also clean oil spills on driveways, etc. (07/16/2005)

By ED

TSP does not work on fireplace smoke stains on painted walls. I tried many options, but found that vinegar worked the best. All of them required a lot of elbow grease. Be prepared for sore shoulders no matter what product you use. Painting is faster.
    (01/17/2009)

By Mel

Home and Garden Cleaning WallsApril 4, 2012
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
    Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
    cigarette smell computer
    Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
    Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
    Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
    cleaning walls
    Removing Soot from Walls and Ceiling
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:45:01 AM on 10.0.0.199 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings