Advice for a Neutered Pomeranian

I just had my Pomeranian neutered and I feel bad. He is not the same it has been 2 days and he has runny stool and is very docile. Any suggestions?

Hi Linda,

Please don't feel bad! You have done the smartest thing you can do. Unneutered animals are susceptible to a host of health problems. Sounds like he may have had a reaction to the anesthesia. Call you veterinarian and describe his symptoms. If you know how to take his temperature with a rectal thermometer, do so to see if he's running a fever (normal is 102). Please don't feel guilty. Castration is a very simple operation and he'll be fine. Peace, Sharon

Don't feel bad. In the long run, you did the right thing.

Best thing to do is call the vet first thing Monday morning and let him/her know what's been happening.

You might take the dog off its regular food and feed baby food or cooled soft boiled eggs to your dog. These are easier to digest than regular dog food.

Good luck!

Have to agree with the others. My MinPin was lazy and

lethargic after the procedure. We chalked it up to

the anesthesia. Give him time, but if he is feverish

call the Vet. Ima3

Your vet probably has an after hour phone number on their recording.

I don't think this has anything to do with his surgery--except it could have been an anxiety attack.

Just had my dog at the vet today for a small surgical procedure. I stayed at her side and baby talked her through it while the vet worked her magic. We had no recovery time there, they sent Allie home with me instead of waiting all morning. If I had not, she would have cried and taken her stitches out of her leg. As it was, we went home and the dog had a normal day.

Good responsible pet owner/parenting on the spay/neuter.

I am the PR/media rep for the local humane society.

(another reason the vet let me stay! On a non busy day-- I took my preschool granddaughter over to watch a cat being spayed. GREAT!)

Pets Dogs HealthOctober 13, 2007
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Cat and Dog Sitting Together
Caring for Your Spayed or Neutered Pet
Pomeranian's Coat Not Growing Back
Pomeranian puppy
Home Remedy for Pomeranian Hairballs