Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Use Vinegar For Fruit Flies

I have a great way to get rid of flies, Apple cider vinegar. Put about a cup in a glass jar, set it in the corner of the area where you have flies, and right before your very eyes the flies will be gone with the wind.

Source: Windy William Show

By stasia from Berkeley, CA

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By arnold delgado10/20/2013

Using apple cider vinegar covering the bottom about 1/2 inch deep in cup/bowl and covering with plastic wrap and punching holes in the plastic wrap, making certain the plastic wrap is tight around the rim of the cup/bowl, the key here is to make holes with pencil or pen in clockwise around the center about 1/2 inch from the rim and not along the edges of the cup/bowl as when the fruit flies get in they always go to the rim of the cup/bowl trying to get back out. This does work!

By momoB09/21/2013

It's more effective if you add a little dish soap, because it makes them stick. I tried using the saran wrap one, but it didn't work.

By Melissa M. [25]07/11/2012

I just have a jelly jar with holes poked in the top, half full with apple cider vinegar sitting next to my fruit/vegetable bowl and I rarely see fruit flies. For some reason they don't like it. Works great. I just refresh the vinegar once in a while as it evaporates.

By JeanieB [5]08/10/2011

This is basically the same idea I heard a while ago and it does work! The only difference is you use a saucer and place a few of them around the kitchen or where ever the bugs happen to be.

By Helen Hord08/22/2010

This hint came at just the right time as we are inundated with those pesky devils.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Use Vinegar and Dish Soap for Fruit Flies

To get rid of fruit flies I pour apple cider vinegar with a couple drops of dish detergent into a small container. Then set it where you see the flies, and they will be gone in no time.

By Susie from Norfolk, VA