Emulsion Paint on Cord Carpet

A couple of months ago a tin of emulsion paint was spilt on my cord carpet. We wiped up alot of it but it has stained the carpet badly. Does anyone have any ideas for getting dried paint off cord carpet?

Elaine from England

Emulsion is water soluble so a good scrubbing with lots of soapy water should help - and a cord carpet will probably stand up to it well. Scrub and blot until you remove all the paint without soaking the carpet too much. Try asking at the local DIY store - they may have something to help the process.

Have you tried goop? Is the carpet a large piece? Can you pick up the carpet and work over a pan outside? I would try paint thinner, and anything else after that if it did not clean. Go to an artists shop and find what they have to remove paint.

You can then use soap as long as you can rinse and rinse and rinse the section of the carpet. If you get soap in your carpet, it will attract dirt and there will always be a spot. I would work what I was using into the fibers with a soft brush. I use a large brush to groom my carpet and cause the strands to stand up after I clean it.

Water will sometimes shrink your carpet when it dries. Some installers use this method of laying the carpet so they don't have to stretch it. I do not recommend this. When I used to clean carpets that had been layed using this method, they were bumpy til they dried.

Removing Paint from Carpet
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetFebruary 7, 2005
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Duct Tape
Removing Duct Tape From Carpet
a woman looking at paint swatches.
Paint Color to Coordinate With Rust Colored Carpet