Tipping on a Cruise

My husband and I are budgeting for a cruise to Alaska next year. What is the protocol for tipping? Who do you tip? How much and how frequently? I have heard conflicting information.

Michelle from Lompoc, CA

I have a friend who cruises a lot, and I had asked the same question, as I am planning a cruise. She said that a tip is added to the credit card you put up at the first of the cruise on a daily basis for bellmen, etc...everything on ship. She said you can tip extra if you find someone extremely outstanding,but otherwise, there is no need to.

The ship will usualy charge each person 10.00 a day, they will add it to your bill at the end of the cruise. check with the line your using some are a little diffrent. If your service wasn't what you thought it should be then when they give you the bill refuse to pay it. I have seen it done. check out their web site it will be very informative.

We always cruise with celebrity cruise lines and they give you some guidelines in the back of their book as to what they suggest people should get. These are suggestions only and you can do what you like, they will put your tips on your bill at the end of the cruise if that is what you choose, we prefer to give each person an envelope with cash and a personal thank you. Some people we tipped less than recommended, for instance I don't drink so I didn't tip the wine sommelier, however our assistant waiter became a personal friend to us, he was working on some of the tours we took and went way beyond the call of duty in attending to my every need, my husband said "I don't know if I should be offended that he may be trying to steal you or offer him a full time job!!" We tipped him more than what the cruise line recommended and we still keep in touch with him by emails. Our butler made us think we had died and gone to heaven!! We gave him more, the hostess came around to our table once....I like the idea of basing your tips on your personal experience with each person and the service they gave you, not just what is recommended based on their job position. Definately budget money for it though, these people work hard for you and deserve the tips!! You will love the experience!!

I agree with Catherine, my husband and I went on a cruise with Carnival and they automatically put the tips on your bill, and you do have the option to not pay them if you don't think they deserve the tip.

Thanks for the info. everyone! That really helps.

Holland America now charges $10.00 a day per person. You can change that amount at the end of the cruise if you want to, but I think for the excellent service you get, that it is well worth the $10.00 per day per person.

Travel and Recreation TravelSeptember 27, 2006
Taking a Disney Cruise
Taking a Disney Cruise
A child eating ice cream in a car.
Preventing Spills in the Car
People Getting off Cruise Ship in Mexico
Saving Money on a Cruise
🎄