Vinegar as a Fabric Softener

Making your own fabric softener is so simple, just take a one gallon jug of white vinegar and add your own preference of essential oils. I add 40 drops of the oils to the vinegar and shake back and forth to mix up. During the washer's rinse cycle, add 1/4 cup and it will leave your wash smelling so nice and fresh. It lasts longer than traditional fabric softeners.

By cassie from Paragould, AR

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Hmm... I never thought to add essential oils. Vinegar also works in the wash cycle as an odor eliminator, and part of what vinegar does is help pull all soap residue out of the clothes. I think that may contribute to the softening.

I too use white vinegar to help soften our very hard water. Although I have to admit I'd like to find something that works as good as Calgon. An affordable place to buy white vinegar is Sam's Club. I have found the drier balls aggravating in that they do come apart.

So I started using tennis balls. They work great as an aid to faster drying, and cut down on wrinkling significantly. They also stay together, and last forever. Yes, they are noisy, but here in Florida we can have our washer and drier in the garage, which is a help in the noise department. Still haven't found the best solution for static electricity in the winters, but it's nothing like the electric shocks I used to get regularly when we lived up north!

Please keep posting, I'd really like to find a better solution for hard water; next to installing a softener!

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Vinegar being poured into fabric softener compartment on a top load washer
Using Vinegar as a Fabric Softener
Better Living Green Living Cleaning TipsMarch 23, 2011
Fabric Softener Reviews
Fabric Softener Reviews
Downy Fabric Softener Ball
Uses For Downy Fabric Softener Balls
Cleaning a Fabric Softener Dispenser
Cleaning a Fabric Softener Dispenser
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 24, 2016 at 10:10:34 PM on 10.0.1.153 in 321 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.