Using Liquid Fabric Softener Instead of Dryer Sheets

Category Laundry
One alternative to buying fabric softener sheets is using diluted liquid softener sprayed on a cloth or piece of interfacing that is added to the clothing in your dryer. This is a guide about using liquid fabric softener instead of dryer sheets.

Instead of buying expensive fabric softener sheets, I put fabric softener in a spray bottle diluted 1:1 with water, spray Pellon interfacing material or a soft washcloth with about a dozen sprays and throw it in the dryer.

I use Amway fabric softener which must be diluted but some brands may be OK to use without diluting. (If it doesn't spray easily, it may need to be diluted.) Wash the cloths every few loads to prevent a buildup of fabric softener.

If there are a lot of pile fabrics or nylon garments in the wash that collects a lot of static electricity, try putting two or three sprayed cloths in the dryer. For garments that are dried on a line, just swab the surface of the garment with the cloth by hand. This method works especially well for my rubber-backed pile bathmat.

By Judy from Valley City, ND

Reusing wash cloths soaked in fabric softener, wrung and dried, you can make your own dryer sheets. This is a guide about easy reusable dryer softener sheets.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Purchase your favorite fabric softener, pour into a fine mist spray bottle, and mist 3-6 times in your dryer for the freshest smelling clothes ever. A large bottle will last for months and hundreds of loads.

By Kim from Happytown USA

Feedback:

I might spray some on a rag but I would be afraid it would gunk up the dryer to just spray it in.

By Ariela

Instead of buying expensive dryer sheets, place a small amount of liquid fabric softener on a clean rag, and place it in the dryer with the wet clothes. Fabric softener is really not very good to put in your washing machine anyway. Clothes come out soft, sweet smelling, and without static cling, and will use much less softener.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Feedback:

Washcloth

Here is what I do with the liquid fabric softener, I pour out a small amount of the fabric softener into a small bowl and I completely saturate a washcloth in it and then I wring it out and hang it to dry. I pour the unused fabric softener back in the bottle.

I use this washcloth in the dryer instead of dryer sheets. I make sure the washcloth is a different color than my other ones so I always know which one is the softener cloth. The one washcloth will work through many loads and it saves a ton of money for me.

By belinda

Watered Down Fabric Softener

I water my fabric softener down by half and then just put a little on an old facecloth. I've had one container of fabric softener for over a year. Very economical in this day and age and it works.

By Connie Vowles

Fabric Softener Mist

I keep store brand fabric softener in a mister bottle watered down just a little bit and mist the inside of the dryer with it. 5-7 shots of it work really well.

By melody_yesterday