Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Why Does My Dog Have White Flakes in Its Fur?

My dog is 9 years old and his hair is short, kind of like a horse's hair would be. I noticed lately that he has white flakes/pieces on his fur. If this is dry skin, what can I do about it? I do not want to change his food.

By Joyce from Ontario

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By deb03/24/2011

Try AVON Original SkinSoSoft on your dog for dry flaky skin. You won't believe the difference. Get the bottle with the spray it's easy to use.

03/23/2011

My little Shih-tzu gets flaky skin so I ordered "Excel Hydrocortisone Shampoo" from Petmeds. I also use the "Oatmeal and Aloe Vera" shampoo and conditioner. The hydrocortisone is not for around the face. also,leave the shampoo on for a few minutes' and rinse well. Ialso started giving both my pups 'Super Pure Omega 3 from Petmeds. My other pup is a Papillion. I poke the capsules and mix one in each of there bowls in the morning.

By Anonymous [848]03/23/2011

Just like with humans skin tends to get dry and flaky as one ages and especially during the Winter months ;-) Here is a link with oodles of ideas of what you can do:
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/dog-dry-skin-tips-and-treatments.html

By Myrna [13]03/22/2011

I read on the 'net somewhere that you can add a T. of olive oil to the dog's drinking water and this will help their skin/coat. Good luck....we got an older dog recently who had this problem. I also bought at Walmart HEALTHY treats for $2.50 a bag for skin/coat and hip/joint and she's been taking daily since last December and her coat is gorgeous now; no flaky skin and her coat shines. This treat is excellent for senior dogs too. Good luck.