Why Does My Dog Have White Flakes in Its Fur?

By Joyce 5 13

My dog is 9 years old and his hair is short, kind of like a horse's hair would be. I noticed lately that he has white flakes/pieces on his fur. If this is dry skin, what can I do about it? I do not want to change his food.

By Joyce from Ontario

Showing: Answers Sort

By Myrna 17 1,083 Flag

I read on the 'net somewhere that you can add a T. of olive oil to the dog's drinking water and this will help their skin/coat. Good luck....we got an older dog recently who had this problem. I also bought at Walmart HEALTHY treats for $2.50 a bag for skin/coat and hip/joint and she's been taking daily since last December and her coat is gorgeous now; no flaky skin and her coat shines. This treat is excellent for senior dogs too. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

Just like with humans skin tends to get dry and flaky as one ages and especially during the Winter months ;-) Here is a link with oodles of ideas of what you can do:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/dog-dry-skin-tips-and-treatments.html

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr647461 Flag

My little Shih-tzu gets flaky skin so I ordered "Excel Hydrocortisone Shampoo" from Petmeds. I also use the "Oatmeal and Aloe Vera" shampoo and conditioner. The hydrocortisone is not for around the face. also,leave the shampoo on for a few minutes' and rinse well. Ialso started giving both my pups 'Super Pure Omega 3 from Petmeds. My other pup is a Papillion. I poke the capsules and mix one in each of there bowls in the morning.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By deb 1 Flag

Try AVON Original SkinSoSoft on your dog for dry flaky skin. You won't believe the difference. Get the bottle with the spray it's easy to use.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Pets Dogs AdviceMarch 22, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Cleaning Mink Fur
Cleaning Mink Fur
Faux Fur
Fixing Matted Faux Fur
pink dog
Dyeing a Dog's Fur Safely
Fur Coat
Repairing Fur Coats
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 1:27:48 PM on 10.0.1.189 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings