Why Does My Dog Have White Flakes in Its Fur?

My dog is 9 years old and his hair is short, kind of like a horse's hair would be. I noticed lately that he has white flakes/pieces on his fur. If this is dry skin, what can I do about it? I do not want to change his food.

By Joyce from Ontario

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Myrna 15 1,062 03/22/2011

I read on the 'net somewhere that you can add a T. of olive oil to the dog's drinking water and this will help their skin/coat. Good luck....we got an older dog recently who had this problem. I also bought at Walmart HEALTHY treats for $2.50 a bag for skin/coat and hip/joint and she's been taking daily since last December and her coat is gorgeous now; no flaky skin and her coat shines. This treat is excellent for senior dogs too. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Just like with humans skin tends to get dry and flaky as one ages and especially during the Winter months ;-) Here is a link with oodles of ideas of what you can do:

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

My little Shih-tzu gets flaky skin so I ordered "Excel Hydrocortisone Shampoo" from Petmeds. I also use the "Oatmeal and Aloe Vera" shampoo and conditioner. The hydrocortisone is not for around the face. also,leave the shampoo on for a few minutes' and rinse well. Ialso started giving both my pups 'Super Pure Omega 3 from Petmeds. My other pup is a Papillion. I poke the capsules and mix one in each of there bowls in the morning.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By deb 1 03/24/2011

Try AVON Original SkinSoSoft on your dog for dry flaky skin. You won't believe the difference. Get the bottle with the spray it's easy to use.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No