Cleaning Odors on Faux Fur

Faux fur clothing and other items made with this synthetic fabric can pick up odors as do other types of material. To remove them you need to keep in mind the restrictions on cleaning faux fur, which is not always washable. This page offers some suggestions for cleaning odors on faux fur.

I bought a lovely vintage 60s faux leopard fur coat from eBay recently but when I received it I found it smelt strongly of stale sweat but was unable to send it back. I have had it dry cleaned hoping that this would freshen it up but it did nothing to improve the odour! The dry cleaner said that the perspiration odour had gone through the lining and impregnated the fur fabric, which is 75% modacrylic and 25% mohair.

I don't know what to do about this now. I'm not sure whether this type of fabric can be wet washed carefully by hand which probably is more likely to lessen the odour, or alternatively whether any type of spray on odour neutralizing product would be sufficiently effective. The manufacturer's label says CLEAN AS FUR so I guess it isn't a good idea to put it in the bath! Can anyone offer me any good advice here?

S Gray from England

Answers

Best Answer

I can't say for sure that any of these will work, but they are worth trying.

Put the coat in a paper bag. Fill another bag with kitty litter. Put the bag with the coat in the bag with the kitty litter. Place in the sun for several days.

Spray the coat with a mixture of water and white vinegar. You might want to test this first on the lining or an edge. Let dry.

Febreeze sometimes works on BO. Try that if nothing else works.

By Debra In Colorado (Guest Post)
Best Answer

You might try putting in a box with some charcoal briquets to absorb the odor. Don't put the bricquets on the jacket just next to it and seal up the box. Also you might try some baking soda. You should be able to sprinkle in on and leave for a few minutes and then shake it off. Hope you did not pay a whole lot for the jacket.

By Theresa (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I'd try to turn the coat inside out, with lining showing, and gently spray with an odor remover with an enzyme activator. These can usually be found in pet & urine remover formulas and they smell nice & work great! The enzymes will "eat" the odor. Just like the sweat penetrated the coat lining to the fur without ruining it, you might be able to get the odor remover to penetrate a little to the fur without damage. Worth a try. I'd test it out on a little section first.

Good luck

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have done this with my leather coat with a fur collar after having been in a smoke filled place all night (which makes me gag lol) First I sprayed the coat with Febreeze and hung it out to dry over night.. Most of the time all smells are gone by morning, but If not, I have also put the coat in the dryer for only about 5 minutes on low with about 5 bounty sheets in with it.. that usually does the trick with no damage to the fur or leather.

By Donna...in the Land of Oz, USA (Guest Post)
Best Answer

This works for almost any "smelly" item (clothing, refrigerators, freezers, semi-trailers with stinky cargo....everything!), no matter what the smell:

Turn your faux fur wrong side out, & place it into a large plastic bag, along with an uncovered bowl (or other open container) with about 7 oz. of fresh coffee grounds in it. Seal bag with twist tie, but be careful not to spill the coffee grounds....it may not hurt your fur, but play it safe. Leave it this way for a few days. Remove fur from bag, do sniff test.....the offensive odor should be gone. See my note in the tips section.
Donna....in the Land of Oz, USA

By Sarah (Guest Post)
Best Answer

On real fur they say to rub in cornmeal and brush out.....lightly for both, you don't want to damage the fur, otherwise send it to a furrier, a dry cleaner is not quip to work with such garments

Best Answer

MAC (modified acryllic) can be machine washed in cold water. Mohair (N.B. strange mix faux and angora together? are you sure?), but if it is the following washing instructions for the real material. Mohair is a smooth fibre so a good shake will dislodge most dust and dirt particles. If the product needs further washing it can be handwashed in water with a light wool detergent or some fabric softener.

Try to avoid over washing as this can affect the pile. Rinse with clean water. It can be spun dry and then hung over a line or laid flat to dry. I work for the largest producer of faux furs in Europe.

Answer this Question

2 More Questions

I have just bought a faux fur throw rug. It has an odour. It is a dreadful synthetic smell, almost like oil or petrol. I have tried putting the rug through the washing machine but it still smells. Any advice anyone please? I have thought of baking soda but the pile of the rug is very deep - about 1 inch and I am worried I would not be able to get all of the powder out again.

KJP from Melbourne, Australia

Answers

By jean (Guest Post)

If the rug is washable, use the baking soda, and then wash it out.

If you have a box/storage container with a lid big enough to hold the rug, place the rug in the container with 8-10 lumps of plain charcoal, or 2 cups of dry ground coffee. Cover for at least 3 days. Both absorb odors. Put the charcoal/coffee
in an open dish on top of the rug.

If a product called Febreze is sold in Australia, spraying the rug with it might help.

By sandy. (Guest Post)

the rug is made from petroleum products. that could be why it smells.

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)

Sorry, but it sounds like you got a cheaply made rug. Some fabrics that are entirely synthetic and are not going to be used for clothing are made more cheaply and sometimes smell.

I had a rug like that too. I bought it to use in the bathroom but it ended up on the back steps! Better luck next time.

Answer this Question

I bought a faux fur jacket on e-bay and didn't think to ask about a "smoke-free" house. You guessed it, the jacket is just full of cigarette smoke. How can I get the cigarette smell out of this jacket?

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsSeptember 6, 2019
😷
🎃
🌻
🎂
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-Odors-on-Faux-Fur.html