Moth Ball Smell on a Fur Coat

Category Odors
Removing the odor of mothballs from a fur coat may best be done by taking it to a professional who specializes in cleaning fur. This is a guide about moth ball smell on a fur coat.

How do you get mothball smell out of a mink coat?

By anderson

Answers

Anonymous

If it's mink, it would be best if you took it to a professional furrier for advice/cleaning.

How do you get moth ball smell out of a vintage fur coat that has been in storage for a decade?

Laura from St. Louis

Answers:

Moth Ball Smell on a Fur Coat

You could try putting dry coffee grounds, right from the can, in several envelopes, about 1 or 2 tablespoon fulls to each envelope and put one in each pocket and maybe pin one in each sleeve and one near the neck and one near the waist and hem and store the coat in a plastic bag for a while. I have had good luck with coffee removing other smells like mildew, from clothing, cat pee from hardwood floor when everything else failed and smells from my camper refrigerator when raw meat thawed and spoiled leaving a terrible odor. (10/22/2005)

By Anna from ME

Moth Ball Smell on a Fur Coat

Fresh air is the only thing I've found that works. Hang the coat out to air, but make sure none of your pets can get to it (dogs like to chew on animal fur, as do cats). If you have a screened porch, that would be ideal. Hang it from the center of the ceiling so there's lots of air around it. You can even hang the sleeves up away from the sides of the coat. It might take a long time if it's been stored for a decade, cold air shouldn't hurt it, but I'd keep it protected from rain. I hate to say it, but the smell might never come out completely, moth balls are notorious for lingering odors. You could call a furrier and ask their advice, they may have some 'magic' that they could do for a price. It would be worth the cost if the coat was valuable to you, either financially or sentimentally. (10/24/2005)

By Anne from MD

Moth Ball Smell on a Fur Coat

Try to put pure charcoal (I would not use the instant lighter fluid kind) in an open container and place the whole thing in a closed area. As I write, I am removing the smell from my washer because I made the mistake of trying to wash something with that smell. They never did come clean and my washer stinks to high heaven. I tried vinegar and baking soda twice, but nope. The charcoal is working pretty well as it sits inside with the door open. (11/05/2005)

By freeofmothballs