Removing Cigarette Smell From Fur

Category Odors
Cigarette smoke causes odors in all manner of fabrics and fur is no exception. A professional would be the first choice for removing the smell, but that can be expensive. Gentle deodorizing with coffee grounds, baking soda, or other odor absorbing items are among possible home remedies, but care must be taken to avoid damage.

I need help removing cigarette smell from a fur stole.

Alison from South San Francisco

Answers

By Annie (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hang the stole in a vinyl garment bag. (or large plastic garbage bag) In the bottom of the bag - using an opened large ziploc or a plastic container (the biggest that will fit) fill the container about 1/2 way up with fresh coffee grounds. Shake or stir the coffee grounds every day. Leave it until the stole smells like coffee. If you need to repeat the procedure - use fresh coffee. Then hang outside in fresh air and the smell will be gone. Discard used coffee.

By Helpful Hints (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have been cleaning out our closets. I have several old fur coats and was very sad to see mould on the lining of one of them. After perusing the net I chose to try wiping a cloth soaked in vinegar right on the fabric. The mould just wiped right off! Amazing.

Best Answer

I used this coffee method on a mink coat that I bought at an estate sale. The coat had been hanging in a closet encased in a plastic bag. I know you're not supposed to store a fur in plastic, but in this case I'm glad it had been, because I think that's the only reason the coat didn't smell worse than it already did.

There were three smokers in the home and EVERYTHING reeked of smoke. I used the coffee to rid the coat of the smoke smell, and it worked great!

rubbish answer