Homemade Coffee Pods

Buying the pods for your single serving coffee maker can get quite expensive. You can save money by making your own. This is a guide about homemade coffee pods.

November 14, 2006 Flag

I have one of those one-cup coffee makers, which is great as that's all I drink, but those coffee pods can get expensive and it's hard to find flavors I like. Does anyone know how to make homemade coffee pods, or have any other ideas? Thanks so much!

Tricia from Tucson

Using a small wire strainer - the kind you would use to strain broth from chicken stock into a cup - and line it with a #2 coffee filter. Place this over the rim of a coffee mug. Add 1 tablespoons of ground coffee and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Pour boiling water over it so it goes through this mixture into the coffee mug. As the mug fills, let the water and the filter-filled strainer steep for about 30 seconds before removing. Add water to desired level. You have just made one perfect, flavorful mug of coffee. Add sweetner and lightener if desired.

I don't know if this is what you have in mind for a coffee pod. I too have a one cup coffee maker. This is the way I make my "filter" I use 3 squares of toilet paper or 1/4 of the regular size paper towel cut into a square. After "making" filter I add 1 tbsp of coffee in the middle of the square. Then put the corners to the middle and fit them into the already there filter. Then put the required amt of water in the coffee maker and let it perk away. My "way" also saves pennies and it simple as I am "lazy" and when it comes to doing this the easy way, that's my middle name. eloise_gulick AT hotmail.com

There is something that I use that I get through my coffee club..but upon checking online...I see that they are available elsewhere also. They are called.....(I copied and pasted this from the club's order site)

Teeli Flip Coffee/Tea Filter bag

Take your coffee or tea with you on the go, with this easy travel solution. Great for a no fuss, no mess cup or pot of coffee or tea.

Add 2 T. of coffee or tea to the Teeli Flip Coffee/Teafilter bag per 8oz. of steaming hot water.

Allow to steep for 3 to 5 minutes.

Teeli Flip Teafilter bag - 100 count, small.

Tricia, what they are like are open teabags that you can put your own loose tea or coffee in and brew as you want. They are wonderful. Just type in TEELI FLIP TEAFILTER BAG on google and you will find several places that they are available....unless you want to join my coffee club. ;) But these would work great as pods @ 60 cents a piece.

Hey Tricia, you didn't mention which brand of coffee pod system you have so this may not apply, but my Senseo coffeemaker works very much like an espresso machine. Closing the machine on the pod (in its proper basket) compresses the coffee, and very hot water is forced through it under pressure. (With a professional espresso machine you first pack the coffee tightly into the 'basket' of the machine and very hot water is forced through it under considerable pressure.) Please note, the key word here is "pressure"! If you don't get this stuff right you can make a serious mess. (I work at a coffee shop and, believe me, I've made my share!)

I would strongly suggest *not* using anything that is not designed to fit in your coffeemaker's basket. I'd not consider teabags or "home-made" with staples, that sort of thing. I know that several different brands are now producing coffee pods to fit my machine and though they are not what I would prefer (I'd rather grind it myself from fresh roast beans of my choosing!), they just work. So shop around; you might find a coffee you like pre-packaged in the pods. Meantime I'm badgering Senseo to come out with a basket to hold freshly ground coffee, but that will be tricky in itself for many people; if the grind is not just right such a pressurized system will not function properly. The measurements will have to be quite precise. And if the coffee creates too much resistance to the water flow I expect it would shut down, to keep from rupturing and showering its user with scalding water/coffee. (These folks dislike lawsuits.)

In short, unless you are an engineer with specific knowledge about hydraulics and a number of other things, I would not suggest trying to re-engineer the system. I've thought about it but the fact is, I'm not qualified. I've studied these things and there's still too much I don't know.

A final note: I like the Senseo system I have and use it from time to time, but if I want to try a new supplier of coffee in a "one-cup" setting, I have a little Melitta basket that sits on top of a coffee cup. It takes a #2 cone filter, and I just put my ground coffee in it (I always preheat my cup with hot tap water while I'm grinding the beans, heating the water, etc.), dump the hot water out of the cup and place the basket on the cup. Then just pour the (nearly boiling) water manually through, slowly, to brew a perfect cup of coffee. If you are a bit picky (as I tend to be) you can use a candy thermometer to get the water temp just right, and if you have a microwave heating the water is very fast. (Note: don't microwave the candy thermometer; I don't think this would be a good idea.) The one-cup manual baskets are $2.99 (just the basket), and if you have your own cup, your favorite ground coffee and a filter (I think the basket comes with a few filters) you are in for a real treat! Check out www.melitta.com/search.asp?SKW=MACM and see how easy and *thrifty* a single, great cup of coffee can be.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesMay 8, 2013
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Keurig My K-cups
Keurig My K-cups Reviews
cup of coffee
Making Coffee Without a Coffee Maker
Using Reusable Kuerig Pods
Using Reusable Kuerig Pods