Texas Rat Snake In Our House

I need some help. We are buying a house and it has snakes inside. I have seen two skins about 4 to 6 feet long, not sure what kind of snake.. We fogged the house with bug foggers and a snake was crawling out of the house between the brick and the eaves and roof of the house, my husband hit it but it went back inside. We positively identified that snake as a Texas Rat Snake. Any ideas on how to get them out? We have also seen copperheads, it was stuck to a sticky rat trap. I am so scared to even move in, almost wish we could back out of the deal.

Denise from Texas

go to the hardward store get some powder sulfur get apan that will not burn tear up newspaper put it in the pan pour the sulfur on top of the papers set on something that will not burn we use the metal garage can lid let it burn be a wful smoke getaway from it will killyou if you breath it we do this each year in our basement for all kinds of bugs you will not have abug""

(sent in by email)

If the previous owners knew that the house is snake infested, you can

probably get your money back, if they did not disclose that to you. Most

states have such disclosure laws, I know that both Iowa and South Dakota do.

I would contact a/your realtor and get some help -- before you move in!!

Gayle in SD

I agree about the disclosure law.if they knew (and how could they not if they are that bad). If you really want the house then I recommend an exterminator. If it were only rat snakes may I would try home remedies, but with a poisonous snake,nope i'd call in the big guns...

JAN in NC

some hardware or farm & ranch stores sell a snake repellant. I have heard that mothballs or the crystals work. just sprinkle around outside of house & you could put some in attic & basement or under house. it will also repel skunks I have used those deoderizers that hang on the toliets to hang up in my shop area to get rid of wasps. so they might work for snakes also, cheap enough to try.

I don't blame you for being afraid, who wouldn't be? Copperheads are very poisonous. The snakes are there because they have food there. The first step is to eliminate the food source which is probably mice or rats. I know a trapper who made his own "Snake Away" with sulfer and cyrstalized moth balls. I'm not sure what else he put in it. He's on vacation but I will reach him in a couple of days and post back with the ingredients. However I do know the barrier should only be put out AFTER you get the snakes out or you will trap them indoors.

please do NOT harm that snake, that will just make him angry. Try leading him out with a feeder mouse. OR you can try risking putting him in a bag and put him outside. but please do not hurt the snake.

Do you have a clause in your contract? Shouldn't the seller be obligated to take care of the problem if they did not disclose this information prior to the sale of the house? Depending on how long you've owned the house, I think there should be some responsibility on the seller!!! Like you, I would not be able to sleep in a house with snakes!

Don't hit the snake. Just put on some gloves, catch him, and let him go in a field or something away from your house.

First of all. If he is there that is a good thing. If there were nothing to eat he would leave. Rats and mice are far more dangerous to humans than snakes. Second, it is not a harmful snake and afarde of humans so it will try to stay out of your way. And finally, copperheads, while venomous, are not much of a threat to humans. There has never been a reported case of a human death related to a copperhead bite. My nine year old son was bitten on the arm by a large copperhead last summer. We spent three hours in the ER for observation them went home. Snake do far more good than harm. I try to keep them around my home for rodent control.

I need help how to get rid of snake eggs in your ceiling I just recent bought a old 1978 trailer an was doing some renivations in the bathroom where there was once a leak an found snake eggs how can I get rid of them

Home and Garden Pest Control SnakesNovember 16, 2005
Pack rat collection
Organizing Tips for a Pack Rat
Black and White Eastern Kingsnake
Kingsnake Information and Photos
copperhead snake
What Kind of Snake is This?
Texas Brownie
Texas Brownie Recipes
🎉
🎄