Using Temporary Hair Color

I have short medium brown hair that is starting to show signs of gray. My hair color is dull and not very attractive. I have used the Natural Instincts products in the past, because I like that the tint washes out in 25 shampoos.

I bought a box that looked like it was a mahogany color. Unfortunately, I didn't read the box thoroughly at the store, and it is for a hair color darker than mine. The directions say to leave it on for 20 minutes. If I cut the time to 10 minutes, will the color be lighter? Or use only 1/2 the amount? Or just throw the box out and buy a tint made for my hair color? Any and all advice appreciated.

By Luann from Corning, NY

I use Natural Instincts, too. Please check your instructions! The dark brown color I use says to leave it in for 10 minutes, never 20! Regarding your question, I would say leaving in the darker color you accidentally bought for 7 or 8 minutes would work well. I'm guessing 5 minutes wouldn't be enough. The alternative would be to go back to the store and exchange it. If you bought it at CVS or Rite Aid, they are very accommodating about exchanges.

Regarding using half a box, that wouldn't work as far as getting a lighter color. However, it's a great way to save money. I have fine, shoulder length hair and half a box is enough for me. Mix half the developer (activator) with half the colorant in a separate bottle and apply it. Don't mix up anything you're not going to use immediately! It won't work. Then in 4-6 weeks, you can mix what's left in each of the bottles to recolor your hair. Good luck!

I would just take it back to the store where it was bought and exchange it.

Why not be your natural self and let your gray shine through? I do with mine and I'm proud of it. It's about time women stop catering to the stereotypical "beauty" ideal! Be boldly proud of your age!

dyed hair
Using Temporary Hair Dye
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringMarch 24, 2011
Temporary Tattoo
Making Temporary Tattoos
Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink