Using Temporary Hair Dye

Category Coloring
Sometimes a change in hair color can be fun when it's not permanent. This guide is about using temporary hair dye.

I bought a box of hair color and the colorant tube was leaking. Can I use it still? There is no ammonia. It is just temporary color.

Answers

I would put it in a ziplock bag so it doesnt leak on carpet. If you just bought it, bring it back to the store.

I have had this happen also, and I used it.

Not that I'm saying your tube of colorant is fine, because it may not be - there's just no way to know for sure.

When I used mine, and I figured I really lucked out, because when it's open enough for it to come out of the tube, the air could change it, or render it not effective anymore.

The thought I had when I saw my tube of colorant oozing a little out of the cap, I just (hoped) that because the colorant was 'pushing' it's way out of the tube, that that might of kept out the air contact.

But, as Judy said, that's probably your best bet for certainty.

If its temp, it's totally okay

I have short medium brown hair that is starting to show signs of gray. My hair color is dull and not very attractive. I have used the Natural Instincts products in the past, because I like that the tint washes out in 25 shampoos.

I bought a box that looked like it was a mahogany color. Unfortunately, I didn't read the box thoroughly at the store, and it is for a hair color darker than mine. The directions say to leave it on for 20 minutes. If I cut the time to 10 minutes, will the color be lighter? Or use only 1/2 the amount? Or just throw the box out and buy a tint made for my hair color? Any and all advice appreciated.

By Luann DeLuca from Corning, NY

Answers

I use Natural Instincts, too. Please check your instructions! The dark brown color I use says to leave it in for 10 minutes, never 20! Regarding your question, I would say leaving in the darker color you accidentally bought for 7 or 8 minutes would work well. I'm guessing 5 minutes wouldn't be enough. The alternative would be to go back to the store and exchange it. If you bought it at CVS or Rite Aid, they are very accommodating about exchanges.

Regarding using half a box, that wouldn't work as far as getting a lighter color. However, it's a great way to save money. I have fine, shoulder length hair and half a box is enough for me. Mix half the developer (activator) with half the colorant in a separate bottle and apply it. Don't mix up anything you're not going to use immediately! It won't work. Then in 4-6 weeks, you can mix what's left in each of the bottles to recolor your hair. Good luck!

I would just take it back to the store where it was bought and exchange it.

Why not be your natural self and let your gray shine through? I do with mine and I'm proud of it. It's about time women stop catering to the stereotypical "beauty" ideal! Be boldly proud of your age!

Two weeks ago I tried an auburn wash-out hair dye. (I am naturally a dirty blonde. It went purple. I want to try another wash-out, but this is a medium reddish blonde. Do you think this is a bad idea? I don't want it to turn green! Please help.

By Smp

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Colored streaks in hair seems to be the "in" thing. My child and the neighbors have used this thrifty method. You take as much hair as you want to color and lay it on a piece of white paper, then simply color with washable markers. There you have it, no peroxide or toxic dye.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

Green streaks in blond hair.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 12