How Long Can Canned Goods Be Stored?

I have found 2 tins of sardines expiration date Dec. 2006. The tins are not dented or blown. I have also found a tube of anchovy paste with a June 2006 expiration date. Can they be used or should they be thrown away?

Thank you.

By petalem from Sandy, Bedfordshire

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

When in doubt, throw it out!

My family comes a long line of "if it doesn't smell bad, it's fine." Of course you might want to do a small taste test too. Helps if you have a strong stomach like us just in case :) If it smells funny at all to you then pitch it.

I would throw it out, way past expired!

I am with the smell and taste test on the canned foods, too. Canned foods without dents or bulging will actually be safe for a decade or more past expire date but their nutritional value and flavor reduce over time. As for the 'tube' of anchovy paste, personally, I would throw that out.

I would much rather recommend that you throw them out than risk ending up in a hosptal or morgue! Not worth the risk, I say!

Is it an expiration date, or does it say "best used by". There is a difference.

If in doubt...throw it out!

Answer

Pasta in Glass Jars
Pantry Food Storage
Food and Recipes StorageNovember 19, 2010
Cleaning Old Dresses
Removing Yellow Creases from Stored Dresses
Dry Goods
Freezing Dry Goods
straining can 2
Straining Canned Goods
Organizing Canned Goods
Organizing Canned Goods
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 12:16:57 PM on 10.0.2.94 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.