Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How Long Can Canned Goods Be Stored?

I have found 2 tins of sardines expiration date Dec. 2006. The tins are not dented or blown. I have also found a tube of anchovy paste with a June 2006 expiration date. Can they be used or should they be thrown away?

Thank you.

By petalem from Sandy, Bedfordshire

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Toni Yahnke02/21/2012

If in doubt...throw it out!

By April [170]11/23/2010

Is it an expiration date, or does it say "best used by". There is a difference.

By Sandy Gerber [22]11/20/2010

I would much rather recommend that you throw them out than risk ending up in a hosptal or morgue! Not worth the risk, I say!

By Anonymous [848]11/20/2010

I am with the smell and taste test on the canned foods, too. Canned foods without dents or bulging will actually be safe for a decade or more past expire date but their nutritional value and flavor reduce over time. As for the 'tube' of anchovy paste, personally, I would throw that out.

By Theresa Grandy [3]11/20/2010

I would throw it out, way past expired!

By SuzyQ82 [2]11/19/2010

My family comes a long line of "if it doesn't smell bad, it's fine." Of course you might want to do a small taste test too. Helps if you have a strong stomach like us just in case :) If it smells funny at all to you then pitch it.

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]11/19/2010

When in doubt, throw it out!