How Do I Make Kitchen Curtains from Coffee Bean Sacks?

I am attempting to make kitchen curtains from coffee bean sacks, but need a little guidance. Should I cut the back of the bags off so as to make the curtains lighter to work with or leave as is? I am also pondering how to reuse some old beads (they actually resemble coffee beans) on the sacks. I am not so crafty, but do have ideas. I am so jealous of those with vision. :) Thanks.

By Shari from NJ

I would remove the backs. It would make them easier to work with and remove bulk. If you really need more privacy then put on a thinner lining. As for the beads, if you make tabs at the top of curtains for hanging it would be cute to put the beads on every tab so it looks like a button. If you don't have enough then evenly space what you do have and put other complimentary buttons or beads on the other tabs. Good luck.

I would pull out the chain stitch that probably goes around two or three sides, and use like one big piece of fabric. Like Bev A says, use a thinner liner for more privacy. Plus, attaching the coffee bean buttons to the hem edge on the bottom will look nice, also, so that they dangle from the bottom. Take pix when you get done!

Plus, you could make roman shades out of them, also.

Thank you ladies. If all turns out well I hope to send pictures.

I agree with Bev A, remove the backs and line them if needed. depending on the way you want to hang them, I would use the backs to create the tabs or if you don't want to sew that much, use a sturdy clothes line, tied to eye hooks that you screwed into the sides of the window frame and pulled tightly across the window, then hang the bags with clothes pins to the rope. sew or glue the beads randomly all over the sacks or create a 'pile of beans' in a corner of each bag.

Just the fact that you want to use coffee sacks for curtains means that you are far more creative than you give yourself credit for. Most of my "vision" has come from ideas that were expanded upon and experimented with. Just go with it.

Crafts Home DecorMarch 16, 2011
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains