Found in the Old Family Bible

No one ever told us why this portion of the old newspaper was in the Old Family Bible. I would guess that my Grandmother Bryan had either wanted to copy one of those lovely gowns, or perhaps a bonnet. She was a wonderful seamstress in addition to being a (piano) music teacher.

Back in those days, the family Bible was so often the place where ladies kept small personal things of interest. I can remember my mother keeping my baptismal certificate in the Bible, and it stayed there until years after I was married and had children of my own before it was given to me.

One of the old Bible pages has the births of my mom and her 11 brothers and sisters recorded. Originally, my Grandmother must have used pencil, because it looks as though a ball-point pen was used later to go over the pencil marks as they were fading. When the births were first recorded, I don't think there was any such thing as a ball-point pen.

By Pookarina/Julia

Editor's Note: To see Pookarina's essay on her family's bible and more of her memories, here is the link:

Better Living InspirationalDecember 9, 2010
Religious themed cottage cheese Easter basket.
Bible School Craft Ideas
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys
A young girl baking.
Making a Bible Cake
Old Record Player
Uses for Old Record Players
🎄
🍂