Browsing: Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)

Ground ivy is notoriously invasive in many areas. Also known as creeping charlie, this ground cover, a member of the mint family, can quickly take over your flower garden and infiltrate the lawn. This is a guide about getting rid of ground ivy.

Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 8, 2013 Flag

Help! Creeping Charlie has taken over my shade garden. It's even found it's way to the lawn. How can I get rid of this menace without having to kill everything in the garden and starting over?

By Sweezykay

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To get rid of Creeping Charlie, use Borax laundry additive. There is a formula of how much to add to water that is easy to find on the internet. It is real easy to take some out to the yard with you and carefully sprinkle on just the Charlie and then water (or just before a good rain). Not too much or will burn the good stuff. I do this especially where no grass grows and it is just Creeping Charlie and other weeds. In these areas, I am a little more generous. Works like magic, but keep up with it. If in garden, it also works but don't overdo. I found it will not kill other weeds.

Use a herbicide containing Dicamba the higher the % the better at least 6% to 12%. Hit it when it flowers in the spring and in the fall. Borax will work but you need to careful on the anount it can carry over to the next year like atrazine . Hi-Yield Range and Pasture Dicamba + D has about 12%

May 5, 2011 Flag

Does borax kill grass if spread on grass?

By Jim

Using Borax is very chancy. If you use too much you could ruin your whole yard and it will be a very long time before you get any grass to grow. This is the only thing that works and even then you have to keep checking and reapply. I took this excerpt from "The Gardenweb" and the guy is right in what he says. I have so much yard, I couldn't keep it up myself because it was covered with it. So I had a service come in and now maybe I can get it under control. It is a nasty weed.

I have been reading your frustrations. I want to reiterrate my post from two years ago, and remind you how important timing is for attacking this weed. A couple of applications in late September/early October is the key to beginning to control this monster. Plus, if you use Weed B Gon max over whole yard at this time, you will have an amazingly clean yard the next spring.

Creeping Charlie or ground ivy is a particularly problematic weed because of the fact that it is resistant to a number of herbicides, but there are some very effective products available. (One of the things I am assuming here is that you want to control the creeping Charlie in your turf areas.) When searching for a herbicide look for products containing triclopyr. This includes Weed B Gon Purple, Weed B Gon Chickweed, and Weed B Gone Max. If you have other broadleaf weeds such as dandelion, Weed B Gon Max would be a great choice because it contains 4 active ingredients 2,4-D, which is very effective on dandelion, MCPP, dicamba, and triclopyr. The best time to apply your perennial weed control products for species such as creeping Charlie is in fall (October 1-15). At this time weeds will be going dormant and storing nutrients, and if you spray at this time the weed will actually store the herbicide, giving you the best control response. The second best time is in the spring right at and after creeping Charlie flowers.

I had the service come in the fall and I see very little of it this spring.

March 30, 2012 Flag

What weed killer works to remove creeping charlie from my lawn?

By Alan

I have had good results in controlling moss in my lawn using vinegar. Don't know if it would work on creeping charlie. I got the following from typing in creeping charlie in to google.com

If you catch it early, you may be able to control creeping charlie by pulling it out. If it becomes thick, you can use a special tool called a thatching rake. This helps to comb through the grass, pulling much of the viny weed out. It doesn't eliminate it, but may keep it in check. (Some grass will be pulled up in the process.)

Using this tool is more physically demanding than fall leaf raking, however. It provides a strenuous workout, and may be more laborious than what you wish to undertake. This operation thatches the lawn and cuts into the soil. Afterwards, you can work in some shade-tolerant grass seed to replace the creeping charlie. The best time to do this is between mid-August and mid-September. Choose a time when the weather is beginning to feel cooler.

You may control creeping charlie chemically by applying a herbicide containing 2,4-D and MCPP as its active ingredients. The herbicide will damage or possibly kill any woody or broad-leafed vegetation that comes in contact with the spray, so it must be used with caution.

The best time to spray is in autumn, once temperatures have cooled to the 60's or 70's, with no rain forecast for 48 hours. This spray program may be repeated every ten to fourteen days as long as the weather is cooperative. Do not spray during hot or windy weather, to avoid herbicide drift onto desirable plants. Always follow the label directions carefully.

A combination of 2,4-D, MCPP and dicamba may be used under some circumstances. The three together work more effectively than 2,4-D and MCPP but one reason for that extra effectiveness is dicamba's ability to be absorbed through the roots as well as through leaves. Since creeping charlie frequently grows in the shade of trees and shrubs, this combination of ingredients must be used with caution, spraying only enough to wet the leaves, not soaking the ground. This combination will prove more effective and pose less danger to desirable plants when it is used in early fall rather than spring.

If you have areas with more creeping charlie than lawn, you may wish to start over. Strip it off with a sod lifter (a hand tool), a sod cutter (a power tool) or apply glyphosate (a non-selective herbicide, sold as Roundup) to kill the entire area. Then you can seed or sod.

Where creeping charlie persists after years of repeated attempts to control it, you may want to consider killing it and replacing it with shade-tolerant ground cover plants or decorative mulch.

If you are interested in trying to eliminate creeping charlie with a borax application, see Yard & Garden Brief H519B, Using Borax to Control Creeping Charlie.

September 20, 2011 Flag

There are two solutions that I've found: either dig it up by hand or poison everything in the area infested, and then plant new grass. I forget what the weed killer I used was, but it kills everything, and then loses toxicity after 2 or 3 weeks. I'd be interested in hearing other ideas because my lawn is being over run again.

By Jack from Boston, MA

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 20, 2010 Flag

How can I kill ground ivy?

By Tom from Milwaukee, WI

Try dabbing Round-Up concentrate on a few of the leaves with an artist brush in the spring and fall. I did this in my lawn last year and it didn't come back this year. You can over seed the area in the early spring if there is a bare spot.

September 20, 2011 Flag

I know there are different kinds of ground ivy, but here is how I cope with it. It seems to come up every year in the same places and nothing I do can get rid of it completely. I have found that when I see the start of it, if I take a pair of clippers and cut it at the base, it takes a while to start back up. Then I repeat the process. This keeps it under control and the advantage is that you don't have to pull it away from your other plants or from a fence. The upper part dies after the stem is cut and it dries so you can just crumple it away. I have never been able to kill the roots.

By Lilac from Springfield, MA

September 20, 2011 Flag

If there is a plant you really want to get rid of, I always recommend Round-Up. It is not organic but gets the job done and it kills all the roots. Spray it directly on the plant(s) you are wanting to get rid of, it will kill what it lands on so don't use on a windy day. Don't spray right before a rainstorm, though it still works I always feel like I'm wasting money then.

If you have weeds in a flower bed that you can't get rid of, screen the good plant using cardboard so Round-Up doesn't get on the keepers. When I'm creating a new flower bed I edge it with Round-Up to check out size and location, once I'm happy with shape I then Round-Up the whole area inside that shape. Then cover in newspapers, using several layers, or feed bags, then cover in mulch. Prior to planting you may want to spray your mulch too, as some tends to sprout weeds, depending where you get it from; the mulch that is. If I've sprayed the mulch I let a good rain shower come down before planting that bed with flowers, just to be on the safe side. Happy gardening!

By looneylulu from Ocean City, MD

November 1, 2010 Flag

I have creeping charlie that has consumed the back yard! Can I get rid of it without chemicals?

By Missy

Answers:

Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

Unfortunately, creeping charlie is a fast spreader. Mowing helps it along as runners are cut up and thrown out to grasp elsewhere.

We are plagued with this weed and it's taking over the grass. Buying a weed killer is about the only solution I know that will kill it back.

I've pulled the runners filling at least seven black bags full so it can dry out and be burned. Do not just toss this weed after pulling into the garden area or meadow as it will return.
(09/18/2010)

By Lorelei

Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

Try using vinegar. It will kill anything that you spray it on, so be careful around any plants that you want to keep!
Another suggestion: post it for "free" on www.freecycle.org; on Craig's list in your area; and on Yahoo local garden trading groups.

However, the only creeping charlie that I have ever seen has always been in hanging baskets. (09/18/2010)

By MzScarlett

September 18, 2010 Flag

What is the best way to get rid of creeping charlie?

Hardiness Zone: 4b

By Sue from Andover, MN

Answers:

Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

I found the only thing that works (and the extension service says the same thing) is something with Triclopyr or 24D in it. I used a product called Pasture Pro. My son bought it at a farm supply store. Ortho Weed B Gon will work, also. I sprayed last fall twice and still have to do it this spring again. It says to wait till it gets done flowering. It got rid of 2/3 of it last fall and am hoping a couple more applications will control it. Here is a good site to go to where they discuss it. I would, however, stay away from the borax if someone suggests that. You will see why after reading on this site. forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/yarddoctor/msg0612033826424.html
(05/11/2010)

By Laniegirl

Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

I think I have found something to get rid of creeping charlie. Check out my site.
http://creepingcharlie.homestead.com/ (05/27/2010)

By 1Scotty5

May 10, 2010 Flag

I see my creeping charlie has survived the winter and is thriving nicely. I have pulled it over and over. It seems to make it grow better. I will not use chemicals, but have read that iodized salt will kill it. If so do you put it on straight or mix it with water? What is the mixing ratio?

By Michelle from Burlington, IA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

I was told by a nurserywoman that a 1/2 cup of borax to 5 gallons of water will kill creeping charlie. Use a watering can to water the grass with this mixture. Give the borax time to dissolve before using. Good luck. (03/13/2010)

By kffrmw88

Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

Borax does kill creeping charlie, but it has to be applied in exactly the right amount and not too often or you will have trouble. Here is just one link I found on it.

extension.umn.edu (03/19/2010)

By Laniegirl

Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

I really hate killing plants, can't you ask around to see if someone would dig them up for the taking? They make great hanging plants. We need to learn to share instead of killing off good plants. I take cuttings and start plants to give away. Great to swap also.
Just my opinion.

Great Granny Vi (03/19/2010)

By Great Granny Vi

RE: Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

March 13, 2010 Flag

I don't know how to get rid of creeping charlie without killing what's left of my grass. This stuff is horrible. Please help me save my lawn.

September 12, 2006 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

July 20, 2010 Flag

How do I get rid of ground ivy without killing everything else? I really don't want a bare spot in my yard as my yard is beautiful, except I don't want this ground ivy to take over.

May 12, 2009 Flag

I have ground ivy that is growing along the fence line of my backyard that looks like it is spreading to my lawn, slowly.

Home and Garden Gardening Weeds Woody and Vining WeedsSeptember 15, 2011
Man on the Street in Charlie Chaplin Costume
Making a Charlie Chaplin Costume
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
English Ivy on Brick Wall
Getting Rid of English Ivy
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 23, 2016 at 6:03:46 PM on 10.0.2.135 in 985 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.