Dog with Yeast Infection on Skin and in Throat

My dog had a yeast infection in her skin and throat (vet's diagnosis). I don't know exactly the yeast's species name. Her skin was itching and her hair shed. In some places, skin was scaled off and she felt very itching here. Her elbows had no hair. Some lumpy and scaled off spots emerged there.

Sometimes, she wanted to dislodge something out of her throat but she couldn't. At that times, she seemed to panic a little and seek grass for chewing vigorously. My pet's vet said that yeast might infect in her throat and cause that syndrome. The treatment is: shave off her hair and bath her with PVP Iodine. But I wonder if this treatment is absolutely effective. Because PVP Iodine is just an antiseptic . Moreover, I can't shave off my poor pet! If you have any tips to solve this problem, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

goodbyemino

Check to see if your dog is allergic to the pet food. Mine was, scratched off all of his hair from from legs down to rear. I swapped food, it stopped scratching and the hair grew back. Just an idea.

I don't know anything about that but if some vet said something that ridiculous & outrageous to me, I'd find another vet. You need some immediate relief for the poor baby. I wouldn't have my dogs panicking/suffering. That's not right.

Can you use clotrimazole that is used for yeast on people? It works great on my baby when she gets red and itchy on her bottom. Just a thin coating twice a day for a few days usually does the trick. Ask the vet first of course. Or can it be allergy related? Food or even environmental?

You can try putting vaseline on your dog where it itches. I've used it on a few of my dogs and their hair grew back very quickly. It really soothed their skin. The last dog I put it on was a foster rescue. He had bald spots on his rump and the vaseline cured it quickly. I've also clipped the hair on other dogs where they had scaly skin and used petroleum jelly and it also cleared up those spots. I think it really stops the itching just like if you put on your hands or feet. Hope you find some help for your dog. Will you try another vet? Good luck!

I do have a sugggestion- for something natural, garlic kills yeast. Garlic powder sprinkled on her food or in pill form may help and won't have side effects like a drug. I also heavily depend on my local health food store for information. They will often have natural remedies that are as effective and sometimes more as drugs. You may have to hunt for a good health food store. GNC probably won't be helpful in this instance. Hope you get help for your baby!

NEVER EVER give your pet garlic, without talking to your vet. Garlic is toxic to pets!!

We have a Terrier that started out with a flea problem, but continued to scratch even after treating him for fleas. He scratched until his body looks like what you have described. We rubbed him daily for several days with Hand Lotion, and his hair began to grow back. Plus the redness disappeared and he quit all the scratching. It is surely worth a try.

Harlean from Arkansas

Please follow your Vet's instructions. If he has said to shave the fur off your dog, please do it. Not to do so is being selfish on your part. imho. You HAVE to do whatever it takes to give your pet relief. How would you like it if you had the same affliction and feeling like you always had itching in your throat?

Best wishes

might be thyroid

Get a bottle of baby shampoo and add a little tea tree oil to it, shake it up, and give your dog a good washing. The tea tree will kill the yeast on the skin and make your pet feel lots better. But yeast is a systemic infection and it will return until you find and treat the problem, which is probably an allergy of some sort.

Yogurt, yogurt, yogurt! Plain will work fine. Give your dog a cup a day. Yogurt has natural acidophilous in it to regulate the immune system to the proper PH. This also works very well for humans with yeast infections. Also, sounds like your animal may have mange. You could even use the Yogurt as a salve on the skin directly. My sister in law is a veterinarian and recommends this for skin/fur issues. Best of Luck!

I absolutely agree with you and also vinegar and water works with it.

So sorry to hear this about your Baby. If she has a yeast infection, why hasn't the Vet put your dog on an antibiotic? This to me would be the first course of action to be taken. As far as shaving off all of the fur, I myself have never heard of this and it seems to me that perhaps you might consider finding another Vet for your Baby. Is she coughing? As you mentioned something being stuck in her throat. She might have Bordertella

( Kennel Cough). I hope that you can help her with everyones support and ideas on this msg. board. Best of Luck

Your dog could have the mange that would react that way

I have the same problem with my dog, I dipped him in mange dip and his hair is coming back. I'm also going to try the petroleum jelly to soften his skin.

I have a Cairn that get's yeast infections occasionally. I use KetoChlor medicated shampoo and conditioner once a week until it passes. You can get it on Petmeds.com. Also, when bathing use cold water. The warm/hot water dries out their skin and makes them more uncomfortable. Good Luck.

My dog have same problem, but within the ear. She has been treated with prednisone and tresaderm, and a thorough teeth and gum cleaning. The problem seems to go away for a while. in a month or two the itching of the ear (inside) and the shaking of the head constantly (she is a toy poodle and those ears are flapping again), and a cough as if something is caught in her throat.

All I am doing is paying for a problem that doesn't clear it up. I have been to 3 vets. I tell them about the cough, but they are more interested in the ear. I can tell she is not feeling well because she is not as active. Any advice?

OH! I hope I can help! We have tried everything with our Lily! We thought our Lily first had regular allergies to shampoo... so we tried all natural, hypo allergenic shampoo. Then we thought it could be a food allergy. That meant special diet! Then we thought it was regular allergies. So we got steroid shots once a year! Then we tried hydro cortisone shampoo and antibiotics. FINALLY, I took Lily to a new groomer, and she suggested because of Lily's smell/ oily skin/ itchy-ness, that we try Malaseb to help control a skin yeast infection. Our local vet actually gave us Chlorhexiderm, which is expensive, but has worked WONDERS! It has been absolutely amazing. Because of the cost difference, we will try Malaseb, which has chlorhexiderm in it. Chlorhexiderm is the expensive chemical. Chlorhexiderm is antimicrobial, and will kill those little boogers, but from what I understand, Malaseb is also made for killing the yeast. Hope your furbaby is better soon!

I also used the malaseb products for my dog who has a yeast problem and it works wonders! It doesn't cure anything but it really helps as long as you continue to use it every once in a while. My frenchie started getting a yeast infection in her face folds due to tearing and it was getting pretty bad. I bought the malaseb wipes and i saw a huge improvement within 3 days.

Our dog has had lots of ear infections (yeast), and has a recurring, hacking cough that gets better with steroids, but comes back when we take him off. Also, his skin is not good, diagnosed with sebhorregic dermatitis (hyper allergic to staph), so he had all these weird crusty rashes. We're now trying the nzymes system for systemic yeast infections (see www.nzymes.com). I don't work for nzymes! We just began the diet (food change) and supplements around Jan 1, so we haven't seen any real improvement yet, but check out the website. It might be worth a try. You also don't have to buy the nzymes stuff. You can do a doggie yeast detox using stuff you purchase on your own, just search on the web and you should be able to find descriptions of the diet. Good luck

Goodbyemino,

My toy poodle has the same symptons.....i still haven't found a solution but have spent tons of money at the vet. Have you been able to find a solution that works?

My dog had awful skin problems and the vet just kept recommending prednisone shots, or endless benadryl. None of that worked. Out of desperation I started giving him 1 of my digestive enzymes each Am &PM on his food. (I take Enzymedica-Digest Gold) Voila! He was cured in 3 days! No more benadryl for the past 6 months and his coat is great. I have a happy dog.

Dear All,

Thank you for all of your useful advices. Let me share my experience curing my baby last time. I used Povidone Iodine, combining with Gentian Violet, Oxytetracyclin HCl on her skin while used Ketonazone oral. And this really worked after 1 month, but didn't last long. The disease re-emerged for several times. I kept curing her with the above prescription. However, medicine only works effectively on her skin these time. She still coughs and eats grass intensively.

Vet said that yeast had infected her lung and cause pleural effusion. This sometimes makes her breath difficultly. I am feeding her Ketonazone, Anti-histamine, Cephalexin but still no result. These day are difficult day for her. She coughs and sleeps all day. Please share your experience if you know the same situation. Thank you so much.

Dear All,

Thank you for all of your useful advices. Let me share my experience curing my baby last time. I used Povidone Iodine, combining with Gentian Violet, Oxytetracyclin HCl on her skin while used Ketonazone oral. And this really worked after 1 month, but didnt last long. The disease re-emerged for several times. I kept curing her with the above prescription. However, medicine only works effectively on her skin these time. She still coughs and eats grass intensively. Vet said that yeast had infected her lung and cause pleural effusion. This sometimes makes her breath difficultly. I am feeding her Ketonazone, Anti-histamine, Cephalexin but still no result. These day are difficult day for her. She coughs and sleeps all day. Please share your experience if you know the same situation. Thank you so much.

Goodbyemino

Any Ideas? Have changed foods, tried for a month to see if any changes, none. This is a black Lab. Now at 3rd vet, who gives shots. $100 per month, but yeast still comes back.

OK, here is the thing: yeast is yeast. The first thing you need to do is find out what KIND of yeast it is, because treatments differ depending on what kind it is. Most useful advice after that: go to www.google.com and type in remedies for _____ (the kind of yeast 3your dog has). Pay attention to who runs the website. Some websites give bad info but look for the advice given over and over. Remember, if it works for humans, it will probably work for your dog, as well.

I have only had experience with a vaginal yeast infection (candida yeast, I think it is called). Both my dog and I have had one and you may find it helpful to know: the treatements are exactly the same. The only exception is that of course, for dogs, certain medicines may cause more problems for them than for us.

Here was my dog's course of treatment (and mine): I admit, I just gave her fluconozol, which is what I was perscribed. I am sure for a milder infection, the topical creams would work fine. But again, find out what your dog has! You can't just put monistat 7 in a dog's ears because it's all yeast. I also put her on the anti-candida diet. Mainly meats and vegetables, NO sugar, one unsweetened activa (live cultures) yogurt a day and no grains (we took away her dry food and gave her two cans a day instead), nothing that contains yeast, like bread.

This website is pretty good: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/. This is the actual website I used. Reading what has been happening to other dogs makes me so glad I did. My dog is 11 and in perfect health but of course, I am already getting worried. Many yeast conditions are recurring. And if your dog (or you) is ever on antibiotics, it almost always comes back!

Go back on the diet if you are taking antibiotics, just for a week or two until you are done.

My little girl suffers from yeast. I found medicated baths such as nizoral shampoo, apple cider vinegar 1/2 and equal amounts of water and canesten cream works well. Any other suggestions?

I heard that if you get acidopholus form a health food store and give them this that it helps. If its really bad try giving 5 or 6 per day. I haven't tried it yet but a friend does and it works.

I had a husky with a yeast infection on his skin. I first the gave him a steroid because he also had abnormal testicles, that worked for about 6 months. I went back to vet and they tested his thyroid, it was under active and had to go on thyroid meds, yeast infection on skin was a secondary infection caused by the thyroid issue. I did the special shampoo and all that it worked somewhat then when he would start to get a reoccurence I just bought the cheap version of monostat cream and rubbed a little on the spot, that would always take care of it. I also have a dog that get yeast infections in her ears, clean with vinegar and water and apply a little monostat in ears and rub it in well..infection clears right up

Please whatever you do, do not give antibiotics for a yeast infections. It will make it far worse and can actually cause yeast infection. A yeast infection is fungal not bacterial. Absolutely no antibiotics for this condition unless you want a raging yeast infection.

Do not give garlic, or onion for that matter, orally to your dog! You'll end up at the emergency room having a blood transfusion. Onion and garlic are actually TOXIC to dogs. I'm unsure if there would be any problem topically, but orally you are apt to kill your dog.

A vinegar bath works wonders. (Think of the old days and how women used to treat yeast infections, it works) Monostat helps some. We have a basset and the poor thing is prone to yeast.

I've answered questions tonight all with the same answer. My dog has had a yeast infection for several months. The vets did shave off some of his fur. Yeast is a very hard condition to clear up. I've tried the allergy shots also and they made him so much worse, that I couldn't stand watching him scratch all the time. I couldn't put him through it any longer and I stopped the shots.

I found someone to talk to at nzymes.com and started him on the yeast kit for dogs. It worked miracles. His skin and fur got so much better within a few short months. He looks so much better. He still has spots where you'll find yeast, but it's the best product I've found. You can use a spray bottle with the yellow listerine and water and spray where it itches him. You mix it 1/2 and 1/2.

Your dog sounds like it is allergic to it's food.

My bulldog/box mix has been suffering from yeast infections for over 2 years on her face/ears/paws/ingrown tail/vulva. She scratches, licks, bites, runs around in circles chasing her tail, squirms around on her back on the floor, and drags her behind. I've felt terrible that I could find nothing to relieve her itching. She smells like Fritos or white cheddar popcorn. Her paws and tail smelled so bad I used to gag while cleaning them.

I have tried all kinds of home, and over the counter, and prescribed sprays, cleansers, powders, creams, and meds. She has been tested for tons of things and also has had her anal glands expunged. Nothing stopped any of her infections for any real period of time. During this time I was trying to narrow down what she was allergic to. I tried many different brands and flavors of foods for several months one at a time. Finally I have found a great one. Nature's variety instinct grain-free salmon meal formulas dry dog food. It contains Salmon Meal, Herring Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Canola Oil, Tapioca, Pea Starch, Pork Liver, Natural Pork Flavor and tons of veggies.

My dog appears to be allergic to chicken and beef like most dogs and most dog foods have some type of chicken or beef in it. This is the only food I could find that didnt have chicken or beef product without potatoes or rice. I buy it at Petco but i'm sure other places sell it.

After her eating only this and Vitality Salmon treats (only salmon and veggies) for 5 weeks, her rash around her vulva has disappeared. She has stopped dragging her behind, rolling around on the floor, chasing herself in circles, and scratching her face/ears.

She still chews her paws but I think she may be allergic to grass or likes to keep them clean. Her coat is also thinker and she appears to be shedding less. I will continue to clean her deep folds, ingrown tail, and big paws with the water/vinegar/peroxide solution to maintain her cleanliness.

If your dog has any of those, then are prone to yeast anyway and need to be cleaned often (at least bi-weekly). Please try this food if you know your dog is allergic to chicken/beef. Im so happy my baby is finally feeling better!

Tapioca is sugar. Raises glucose levels more so than rice, potatoes. DEF avoid. salmon is also known to contribute to yeast. try raw feeding. no grains, wheat , corn, soy, rice, gluten free, no tapioca or salmon. soak dogs paws daily in vinegar/ water. i also use sulfur cream between pads, paws, nail beds. look at your dogs nails...if they are dark at base where it meets fur_yes..yeast. strict diet. coconut oil is also an anti-fungal, feed with food. you must remove the old build up of dead skin or crust as yeast dies or it will continue. best of luck been there,done that. cured and hasn't returned

Peroxide. It does wonders

You might try Castille soap too.

I went through this with my dog off and on for 7 months with medication, medicated shampoo and it helped until she came off the medicine, and it came right back. I started doing a regular bath, after rinsing well I applied 1 part vinegar to 1 part water all over her body- did not rinse... I added a teaspoon of vinegar to each water bowl- every time she finished her water ALL gone, I would repeat. I did this and within a week she was cleared. To keep her PH going, I continue to add 1 teaspoon of vinegar to her water each time.

Dog's Yeast Infection
Treating a Dog's Yeast Infection
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 13, 2007
A doctor examining a child with a sore throat.
Sore Throat Remedies
hot tea
Remedies for a Burned Throat
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Yeast
Storing Yeast
🎉
🎄