Treating a Dog's Yeast Infection

Category Health
An overabundance of yeast can result in infections on your dog's skin, in the ears, and other areas. This is a guide about treating a dog's yeast infection.

I was going through earthclinic.com as usual, when I have something to share and I came across this article. It is a mini course in understanding Yeast Overgrowth, and Systemic Yeast Problems. I will do these preventative things first and the supplementation before I ever have my dog allergy tested, because most problems with itching and ear infections are not allergies but problems with yeast.

Here is the link:

My German Shepherd who is eight years old, has tons of yeast problems. I have her on pills to get rid of yeast and a special shampoo. Blackness around the ears, and on the legs and tummy, are signs of yeast die off, and it is a good thing to watch for these, so you will have a heads up of problems that need to be treated.

Yeast is not just a problem for dogs, it is also a buzz word in the autism community and one of the reasons for so many sicknesses we all have.

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

You can treat itchy paws, by rubbing "over-the-counter" women's vaginal yeast/itch cream into every crevasse of your dog's paws. Make sure they are dried a bit using your blow dryer. Put booties on if it is wet outside to avoid further dampness (which encourages the growth of the itchy fungus) and put a pee pad on your patio where it is dry so dog learns to go in dry places.

You should select a dry area (or create one) so your dog can go without getting paws damp. Use a bag of bark from Home Depot or garden center and teach dog to go there instead. Create an overhang so it doesn't get wet.

You can also treat yeasty dog ears by inserting a Women's vaginal suppository into each ear. You may have have to split it longways into two or whittle it down a bit (save the rest). Repeat in 3 days. Use the 7 or 3 day treatment options. Leave the suppository in there, it will melt and disappear on its own. (Clean and dry the ear as much as possible first, but it works either way.) Give dog a nice hug and treat afterward and rub ears a bit to melt the suppository.

Source: Veterinarian

By ShyBlonde from Dublin, CA

Editor's Note: Please check with your own veterinarian before trying any home remedy on your pets.

Yeast infections can be common with dogs, especially those with thick coats. This is a guide about holistic treatment for a dog's yeast infection.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Many pet owners choose to treat their dog's yeast infections with natural products rather than seek medications from their vet. This is a guide about natural treatment for yeast infection in dog's ears.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do you use tea tree oil for canine yeast infection in ears?

Debe from Jamestown, RI

Answers

Best Answer

Earthclinic.com has lots of home remedies for pets. Check on the toxicity of tea tree oil on pets before using it though. Racer

Best Answer

I don't know too much about using the tea tree oil for this, BUT, I have another tip for you. My dog had a bad yeast problem with constant hot spots, scratching, and icky ears. My vet gave me drops for the ears and I added some plain yogurt to her diet each day. She is a Bichon and not too large but I give her a heaping tablespoon or more each day in her bowl. Sometimes I give it twice a day.

She also had stomach issues and we would find little piles of yellow icky stuff around. Since I started the yogurt, she has been incredibly better. No hot spots so far, knock on wood and no more stomach problems. The good bacteria in the yogurt kills off the yeast issues. Make sure it's unsweetened. I use Stoneyfield plain. It's been at least 8-9 months since I started the yogurt and so far so good. The vet also told me to clean her ears regularly with peroxide on a cotton ball, dampened, not soaking. Hope that helps.

Best Answer

It doesn't matter if it is yeast or ear mites, tea tree will help heal and soothe your pet. Get a carrier oil--olive oil will do. Add a few drops of tea tree oil to about 1 oz of the carrier oil. After cleaning the ears with peroxide (if you can), add some tea tree oil mixture, close the ear and rub the ourside to distribute it.

After a few days, your pet should feel better. But remember, it the problem is yeast (systemic), you will have to deal with it because the tea tree mixture will only treat symptoms, not the actual problem. Like butterfly suggested, you can give your pet yogurt, or just buy some acedophilus or probiotics and mix some with food daily. Yeast feeds on sugars and grains, so you may want to check your pet food.

My dog had a yeast infection in her skin and throat (vet's diagnosis). I don't know exactly the yeast's species name. Her skin was itching and her hair shed. In some places, skin was scaled off and she felt very itching here. Her elbows had no hair. Some lumpy and scaled off spots emerged there.

Sometimes, she wanted to dislodge something out of her throat but she couldn't. At that times, she seemed to panic a little and seek grass for chewing vigorously. My pet's vet said that yeast might infect in her throat and cause that syndrome. The treatment is: shave off her hair and bath her with PVP Iodine. But I wonder if this treatment is absolutely effective. Because PVP Iodine is just an antiseptic . Moreover, I can't shave off my poor pet! If you have any tips to solve this problem, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

goodbyemino

Answers

By Crystal (Guest Post)

Check to see if your dog is allergic to the pet food. Mine was, scratched off all of his hair from from legs down to rear. I swapped food, it stopped scratching and the hair grew back. Just an idea.

By Me (Guest Post)

I don't know anything about that but if some vet said something that ridiculous & outrageous to me, I'd find another vet. You need some immediate relief for the poor baby. I wouldn't have my dogs panicking/suffering. That's not right.

By Angie (Guest Post)

Can you use clotrimazole that is used for yeast on people? It works great on my baby when she gets red and itchy on her bottom. Just a thin coating twice a day for a few days usually does the trick. Ask the vet first of course. Or can it be allergy related? Food or even environmental?

By Mary (Guest Post)

You can try putting vaseline on your dog where it itches. I've used it on a few of my dogs and their hair grew back very quickly. It really soothed their skin. The last dog I put it on was a foster rescue. He had bald spots on his rump and the vaseline cured it quickly. I've also clipped the hair on other dogs where they had scaly skin and used petroleum jelly and it also cleared up those spots. I think it really stops the itching just like if you put on your hands or feet. Hope you find some help for your dog. Will you try another vet? Good luck!

By Becki from Missouri (Guest Post)

I do have a sugggestion- for something natural, garlic kills yeast. Garlic powder sprinkled on her food or in pill form may help and won't have side effects like a drug. I also heavily depend on my local health food store for information. They will often have natural remedies that are as effective and sometimes more as drugs. You may have to hunt for a good health food store. GNC probably won't be helpful in this instance. Hope you get help for your baby!

We have a Terrier that started out with a flea problem, but continued to scratch even after treating him for fleas. He scratched until his body looks like what you have described. We rubbed him daily for several days with Hand Lotion, and his hair began to grow back. Plus the redness disappeared and he quit all the scratching. It is surely worth a try.
Harlean from Arkansas

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)

Please follow your Vet's instructions. If he has said to shave the fur off your dog, please do it. Not to do so is being selfish on your part. imho. You HAVE to do whatever it takes to give your pet relief. How would you like it if you had the same affliction and feeling like you always had itching in your throat?
Best wishes

By (Guest Post)

might be thyroid

Get a bottle of baby shampoo and add a little tea tree oil to it, shake it up, and give your dog a good washing. The tea tree will kill the yeast on the skin and make your pet feel lots better. But yeast is a systemic infection and it will return until you find and treat the problem, which is probably an allergy of some sort.

By tupelohoney17 (Guest Post)

Yogurt, yogurt, yogurt! Plain will work fine. Give your dog a cup a day. Yogurt has natural acidophilous in it to regulate the immune system to the proper PH. This also works very well for humans with yeast infections. Also, sounds like your animal may have mange. You could even use the Yogurt as a salve on the skin directly. My sister in law is a veterinarian and recommends this for skin/fur issues. Best of Luck!

So sorry to hear this about your Baby. If she has a yeast infection, why hasn't the Vet put your dog on an antibiotic? This to me would be the first course of action to be taken. As far as shaving off all of the fur, I myself have never heard of this and it seems to me that perhaps you might consider finding another Vet for your Baby. Is she coughing? As you mentioned something being stuck in her throat. She might have Bordertella
( Kennel Cough). I hope that you can help her with everyones support and ideas on this msg. board. Best of Luck

I have 4 Chihuahuas. They all are itching even after bathing them with Dawn in case they have fleas. I am also treating them afterwards with a flea treatment. They all are still itching and some have bald spots from biting and gnawing on their backs. My one female is extremely itchy. She literally hides and when she comes out she cries and scratches her back on a table or anything that is the right height for her to rib against.

I've looked things up on the internet and I believe she has a yeast infection on her back. She also crawls around to relieve the itch. My son read where you can give her Benadryl which I have been doing. She has a very foul odor that even bathing doesn't take away. Like I said I have treated her for fleas and when I check her I don't see any. Her skin on her back is black which leads me to believe it is a yeast infection. How can I treat this without taking her to the vet? As we have just lost our house and money is very tight. I feel so bad for her.

How can I get rid of it at home? I know the first thing they will try to give her is antibiotics. And I know in humans this can lead to a yeast infection. Having had it happen to me. We thought at first it was just hot spots. As I had a Shih Tzu who used to get them all the time. She doesn't seem to want to bite at it thankfully so I don't see any raw areas except around her genital area. Hence the crawling when she does come out of hiding. I'm ready to buy what we use to treat a yeast infection on us. But I'm afraid if she does start biting it will make her sick. Please help! I want her to get relief from this because I feel so bad for her. The others are itching and biting, but their skin isn't black like hers. Anybody know of a treatment that I can give her that won't harm her?

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

It really sounds like mange. My dogs got mange and they had all the symptoms you mentioned. One dog receive 2 doses of ivermectin, two weeks apart and the other got revolution, two weeks apart. They are both doing so much better now! Hair remains clean, shiny and smelling good.

My lab is still licking her privates a lot so I think she may also be infected with yeast as well. So that's my next thing. My chihuahua is not showing the same symptoms so I think now that her mange is gone she is fine.

I have been treating my 4yr Shih Tzu Alfie for yeast infections since he was a pup and I have tried everything. I found out about the ACV/water solution yesterday.

He usually just has the yeast in his ears, but sometimes it spreads to the top of his head, which it has right now above both eyes from him scratching. He has some small scabs so there's open skin, and I'm wondering if I should still use the 50/50 solution on it?

I haven't been able to find anything on what to do with broken skin. Is there something else I can put on the open sores or should I apply the solution? I'm going to try the yogurt everyday and vinegar baths, but I was concerned about spraying the ACV/H20 on an open sore. I don't want to make him more miserable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm hoping that after we get him going on these natural remedies there will be no more Benadryl, no more prednisone and expensive meds that don't even work! Thanks.

By amber from MD

What can I give my German Shepherd to prevent reoccurring yeast infections in his penis area? I have taken him to the vet several times and he was given antibiotics. The vet wants me to start douching him with vinegar and water a couple of times a week. He is a big dog and it is difficult trying to douche him, what can I gave him to take that will help?

By LP

Answers

Best Answer

Dont give up...this does work. I have had to do this with my horses, but they didn't seem to care at all, and I was using a garden hose.

Best Answer

Question: has the vet checked to see if your 4-footed baby is either diabetic or hypogycemic (prediabetic)? It's odd he would keep having reoccuring bouts of this if his sugar was balanced. I'd also keep his mouth as clean as possible. While he's washing himself he might be reinfecting himself too. One last thing, besides keeping up with the vinegar, I'd also be sure to feed him yogurt (natural, organic Greek is best-unsweetened, of course!) and give him a daily probiotic suppliment. Once his Ph is balanced and he has more good bacteria than bad, it should end the yeast problems. When giving the yogurt, I'd start with small amounts first and check his stool to be sure his system can tolerate it. I know you're a great puppy-mommy and your baby will be just fine!

My little Maltese cross has had a reoccurring ear infection for a few months now. The drops and wash given by the vet were not effective. I have been researching the use of diluted white vinegar, vaginal cream, and diluted apple cider, as well as, changing her food to a natural one. Her vet says she now needs an operation to open the ear canal. That freaks me out. Surely in this day and age I can use something that will help her other than an operation to cut her ears.

By Deb

Answers

Best Answer

I found this to be a very helpful site in understanding the problem of yeast infections in dogs.....

http://www.grea  _mini_course.htm

Also earthclinic.com has a pet section. I see that a lot of the time it is an allergy to grains and such. Never give brewers yeast for fleas.

Blessings, Robyn

Best Answer

Here's the recipe I use for my cocker spaniels and they are ear infection clear and have no problems because I used this recipe from the time they belonged to us and especially after their baths are given as it helps dry up any water that might get into their ears and preventing an infection. On my older pets now deceased, I didn't know about this and was always buying medicine from the vet that didn't really work that well. I did apply Zymox w cortizone for pet's ears and that product was better. BUT, it's still not as good as Blue Power Ear Wash.

http://www.show  powerearwash.htm

My 8 months old Pug has a skin yeast infection I think. Her skin is black, dry, flaky almost like elephant skin, and she is losing hair. It's not itchy.

I already tried using different kinds of soap, shampoo, and my vet gave me some tablets for "hair growth", but no use :( Please help me I'm really frustrated.

I have a female Chihuahua that has an yeast infection around her vulva. Several vets have prescribed medications and nothing is helping. It remains raw and very uncomfortable for her. Any ideas what to do for her? I use A and D ointment just to help the burning subside, but I need something to get rid of it permanently. Thanks.

By crystal chamberlain from Des Moines, IA

Our dog is biting on her legs and feet. Her white legs are turning brown. What can we use to help her?

By Marilynne A

We have a 10 pound Maltipoo puppy and we feed her Holistic Select which is wheat, soy, color, and preservative free. I am wondering if that is good enough. I have read that raw meat is better, but I wouldn't know how much or what kind to feed her. Any food ideas? Thank you for your help! and thanks to this web site I am treating Sugar naturally for ear fungus. Thank you!

By Mercedes from OC, CA

Answers

Best Answer

My dog had a chronic yeast infection in his ears and when I changed his dog food from Pedigree to Nutro Natural Choice (Lamb Rice Formula), it all cleared up.

My 7 year old Dachshund has had a yeast infection all over the stomach and legs and in one ear. She keeps on licking her backside and it's gone black and she pulls herself along the ground. She's had it now for about 4 months. I've taken her to the vet 3 times and we keep getting the same antibiotics (THERIOS 750mg) and malaseb 20mg. It helped for 1 week and it came back. She doesn't eat wheat or corn in the diet and she is not over weight. I really need to get help for her, I can't take her biting and being in pain anymore.

By Emma.A from Finland

My dog has a yeast infection in his ears. I read a thread about apple cider vinegar and water mixed, but don't see the exact recipe and other websites say white vinegar. Help? He has been on a grain free diet for a year now and he still gets them.

By Jennifer

Answers

Best Answer

If it's a yeast infection of the same fungus women get, maybe a cream for such from dollar tree, rubbed softly inside ears? It's one dollar there vs many more at any other store.

How much apple cider vinegar and yogurt do you give for a 50 or so pound with a very bad yeast infection?

By Kathy

Can I use Monistat cream on my dog? If I buy the kit instead of using it on a on myself internally, can I spread it on my dog externally for a yeast infection?

I have a two year old Shih Tzu, who has bad yeast and/or bacterial infection. I lived in a wood floor home before moving to a carpeted home a year ago and that is where and when all the problems started. First fleas, now he is on pills for that. But now the skin condition is back and I need something as strong as amoxicillin, but healthy. Does anyone have great ideas that have worked for you?

My Maltese/Yorkie has a bad skin infection, hot spots that are itchy and smelly. It is probably a yeast type infection. I have Gertaved spray, but he also has severe irritation under his eyes. What do I do about the eyes?

I have a 2 yr old, 109 lbs Lab mix. I have tried many times to put in ear drops from the vet, but my dog is so strong, and he won't let me touch his ears. I've heard of giving my dog Benadryl tabs, will this help at all I can give him tabs, no problem. Any other ideas for me. Please help. Thank you.

By 87dreamcatcher

How much apple cider vinegar, water, and alcohol do I use?

By LuAnn B.

Is Canesten cream safe to use on my pup's genitals? I'm picking up some plain yogurt to give him tomorrow, but I'm wondering if I can use that to give him some sort of relief right now?

By Meagan B

Has anyone dealt with a yeast infection on a dog's paws? It is really bad and the vet has him on a special shampoo and medication. He is a shih tzu that was gave to me. He was sick and I have been doctoring him for 2 months. He has a raw spot on one paw. Can I put Neosporin on it?

By Anna from OH

Answers:

Yeast Infection on a Dog's Paw

My tale is long. But here goes. We have a Choc Lab (Woodrow) he is now 14 yrs young. He had chronic issues with yeast in the ears and the paws for most of his life. That is until about 7 years ago when I hunted down info on the net. Now there are stories left right an sideways about it but back then not so much.

You need to buy Thornit Powder. It is made and sold in England. This product works. It comes with the simple instructions and the suffering stops for the poor animal and for you too. The relief is overwhelming.

I purchased the small bottle and I have had my last bottle about 2 years. Just google it and see what people are saying about yeast infections, mites, paws and how well this works. They have been using this on the professional dog circuit in England for over 100 years. It is safe, effective and simple. My husband loves it.

I wish the best of luck to you and your dog.

God Bless!
(04/07/2009)

By Laura

Yeast Infection on a Dog's Paw

You said you have been doctoring him but what did the vet tell you the dog has and what to do about it? You can't just guess at how to provide basic medical care for animals anymore than you can for children.

You need to look at diet, exercise and other health issues. For example, diabetes can be a strong underlying cause of chronic yeast infections in animals and humans.

You need to find out what's going on with the dog before you can treat them properly. It's also a good time to get or schedule their vaccinations and spay/neuter if you haven't already done that.

(04/07/2009)

By d horner

Yeast Infection on a Dog's Paw

I used to dogsit a bulldog that kept a yeast infection in the fold of skin on his neck and brow area and the vet prescibed the same cream a woman uses for a vaginal yeast infection. Don't forget to clean the area well with soap and water before applying the medication. Good luck! (04/10/2009)

By Amanda Carroll

Yeast Infection on a Dog's Paw

Yogurt, it works great on yeast. Just rub it a couple times a day on each place where the yeast is present. (04/10/2009)

By Abigal

Yeast Infection on a Dog's Paw

This is long but worth reading. It is so hard to watch an animal suffer from this stuff. I have a solid white English Bull Terrier (Spuds). He was constantly chewing his paws and had a hot spot on his back. His candida load was so great that he had a seizure.

I took him to the vet where he was prescribed an anti-fungul and an antibiotic to get rid of a seconday bacterial infection. He was given one month of antibiotics and two weeks of the antifungul. Made no sense to me since antibiotics cause yeast overgrowth.

I began to research yeast infections. The problem begins in the intestines. If left untreated the yeast "grows" legs and attatches to the intestinal wall. The skin is just a manifestation of what is going on internally.

I changed my dogs food to Innove Evo which has low carbs. Rice, grain and cornmeal are your dog's enemy.

Through my research I found that coconut oil is an antifungul. I feed my guy two tablesoons in the morning and two in the evening. I mix it with Stonyfield plain yogurt and an enzyme and probiotic powder. It is important that the coconut oil is cold pressed and unrefined. I use Nutiva and you can find it at a health food store. He is free and clear of the overgrowth of yeast. I actually use it in my diet know too. Tastes good and is good for so many applications. (04/18/2009)

By Ayme

RE: Yeast Infection on a Dog's Paw

Yeast Infection on a Dog's Paw

My dog has suffered from a yeast problem for the past 4 years. I have visited several vets and they have all told me that she has allergies. I was fed up so I began reading on the internet on how to cure this myself. I came across this website and everything she recommends I have done and the results have been incredible. Go to greatdanelady.com and click on articles and read about systemic yeast infections under urgent. Get your dogs blood taken and check for thyroid issues and follow all of the kits she suggest you buy. I only wish I read that article years ago. (05/03/2009)

By jaymee Normand

There is a yeast infection between my dog's toes. How do I cure it and prevent it in the future? The antibiotics are not helping.

By Stan from Dallas, TX

Answers:

Yeast Infection on a Dog's Paw

For yeast infections try a solution of vinegar and water, clean the area several times a day with this solution. If the dog licks the area vinegar will not harm him. Try to keep the area as dry as possible. Yeast needs moisture to grow, it grows in an alkaline condition, reason why vinegar (which is acid) just might do the trick. Plain old vinegar is useful for so many things. (08/25/2010)

By MJ

Yeast Infection on a Dog's Paw

If he were my doggie, I'd put plain yogurt on his paws, and feed him about 4 ounces of plain yogurt every day until it clears up. It's the most simple remedy I know for yeast infections in our pets.
Good luck. (08/25/2010)

By Julia

Yeast Infection on a Dog's Paw

Please nobody follow jilson's advice! Those topical creams for women's yeast infections are just that, topical! They are not intended to be ingested, and your dog will lick it's paws. The only suggestions I saw on here that were logical were the yogurt and the vinegar. One of my dogs also has a yeast infection on one of her paws. I will be trying first the yogurt, then if that doesn't work I'll try the vinegar. But using the topical creams could make her very sick. Can you imagine ingesting the cream yourself? (08/26/2010)

By Cricket

Yeast Infection on a Dog's Paw

Antibiotics will kill bacteria, not yeast. The best yeast defense is plain yogurt and it will not harm your dog if licked off. Plain yogurt is so amazing at curing yeast infections, but most people think they need to pay for something special! (08/26/2010)

By Beth

Can canine yeast infections spread to other family pets?

By david prince from Houston, TX

Answers:

Dog Yeast Infections

This is a question for your vet because it might depend on what kind and where the yeast infection is. (12/08/2009)

By Ann

I am looking for information about dog yeast infections.